Most Overated Tarantulas

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd say G. rosea is number 1. I don't think that you can find a more boring tarantula that doesn't burrow.

I pretty much can't stand the entire genus of Aphonopelma.

Jon

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
C. cyanopubescens
H. lividum
A. Seemanni

Last edited:

Anansi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd say most aviculeria's...They go to the bathroom everywhere and stay in their silk retreats for weeks at a time...2nd place I'd say C. Fimbriatus...Yea it looks nice, but it makes so much web its just sickening...And as if web isnt enough it makes a burrow somwhere in the web so you NEVER get to see it...I guess it depends on what you think consitutes boring...I love most all aphonopelma...At least you can see them...

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Big Dragonfly said:
I'd say G. rosea is number 1. I don't think that you can find a more boring tarantula that doesn't burrow.

Jon
I would have to say not always on that one. There is one rosie in particular that I have been watching in a herp shop just north of here that is very active and constructive. The little bugger is at work moving bits of his substrate to one side or another every time that I am in there. I have been trying to stay with the colorful species but I might just go pick up this one tomorrow, it's a lot of fun to watch.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmmmmm that's hard for me to answer. I like all of them for what they are but I do have an opinion on one of the most Under rated.... P cambridgei. It is a beautiful and hardy arboreol that doesn't get as much recognition as it should.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know if I can name an "overrated T", to be truthful. What appeals to some people might be considered boring or perhaps too dramatic for others. I myself am not into the more aggressive species or those that are very flighty, while others obviously are. I have four Rosehairs, for example, and all four are as different, both in terms of personality and activity levels, as night and day! I've had one which would make even the most ardent p. murinus keeper's heart beat a little faster upon opening her cage! I have one now who is an aspiring sculptor, and creates amazing little "earthworks" using her substrate held together with silk, while another just sits there, in one spot, day after day(she isn't dead-I've checked). In terms of being difficult to observe, my A. avicularia does stay hidden in her thick web all of the time, so she pretty much is just this dark blur in the center. On the other hand, she doesn't bite...it's the OTHER end you have to watch out for! My B. smithi is pretty lazy, too, and I guess if it weren't for her colors, many people would consider her boring, but she is such a sweetheart! I guess it all depends on what a person wants in a tarantula whether or not they would consider any given specimen to be "overrated".

pitbulllady

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I haven't discovered any tarantula that I would consider overrated. They're all awesome, IMO.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pategirl said:
I haven't discovered any tarantula that I would consider overrated. They're all awesome, IMO.
very good answer. you go girl.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would throw in my two cents here, but the fear of any of my tarantulas hearing whatever answer I may present and taking offense is overwhelming.
I can see them now, shaking there little pedipalps in the air, wriggling out of their enclosures and creeping into my bedroom while I am sleeping, presenting a choreographed postioning of their abdomens over my face, and kicking their little butts bald.

No thanks.

I LOVE THEM ALL.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OBT's, and H. lividum for all the hype that they receive.

I love Xenthesis.
I want them all!

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i never really thought g. rosea was overrated, they are usually just the gateway T that leads to more, since they are all over the pet stores. ;) actually i thought they were underrated, since they are so 'plain' and common.

there are NO Ts i'm not at least a little interested in owning, they are all beautiful and interesting to me to know more about. and i'm ok with lazy pets, i've had my fair share, lol :rolleyes:

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I cant think of a single species of tarantula that I find borring. I find them all fascinating. I cant get over how they react to diffrent situations, and thier wierd little quirks.

In fact, it's the exact opposite for me. I see a often see T's that I wasnt planning on buying or looking up, and I end up wanting one before too long. About over rated - I don't know. I own a lot of these "over rated tarantula" you all have mentioned.

G.Rosea, A.Avic, A.Semmani, B.Smithi, H.Lividum, B.Vagans are the T's I own right now. I dont understand how anyone could underappreciate them, but its thier loss not mine. I spend hours infront of thier tanks watching them.

As for H.Lividum, this is my most interesing T so far. She's always in her webbed up borrow, (I love to check up on this ever growing fortress of web). Every night close to midnight she stays at the very top waiting for ther perfect moment to grab a cricket. When one comes near by she begins drumming the substrate. Often it frightens the crickets, but everyonce in a while the cricket jumps straight into her mouth. I spent two hours watching this happen last week.

It's definatley going to have to be an opinon thing. In my opinion there is no T I feel that is over rated.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Over/Underrated...

zombieagogo said:
I would throw in my two cents here, but the fear of any of my tarantulas hearing whatever answer I may present and taking offense is overwhelming.
I can see them now, shaking there little pedipalps in the air, wriggling out of their enclosures and creeping into my bedroom while I am sleeping, presenting a choreographed postioning of their abdomens over my face, and kicking their little butts bald.

No thanks.

I LOVE THEM ALL.
I second that! I love all my T's, period. They are all magnificent to me! :D

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
I agree with whoever it was that said that C fasciatum is overrated. Mine was so boring I had to trade her off.

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:
i never really thought g. rosea was overrated, they are usually just the gateway T that leads to more, since they are all over the pet stores. ;) actually i thought they were underrated, since they are so 'plain' and common.

there are NO Ts i'm not at least a little interested in owning, they are all beautiful and interesting to me to know more about. and i'm ok with lazy pets, i've had my fair share, lol :rolleyes:
I agree, G.rosea's aren't exactly "overrated", they are just tremendously common, I love mine to death. She always digs up those annoying meal worms when they try to disappear under the substrate. I don't think any spiders are "overrated", I personally love them all even the not-so-attractive ones. I think maybe colorations can be overrated, for instance I've wanted a red-knee since I first got into Tarantulas, yet once I actually saw one in person I was kind of disappointed by the colorations, they were very subtle colors in comparison to a fire-leg or even an A.versicolor. I still want a red-knee and I think they are beautiful, but thats why I was just trying to make the point of spiders not being overrated, but maybe the colorations themselves, I dunno, just my opinion.

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Big Dragonfly said:

Jon
Have you ever owned any aphonopelma species?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shiver said:
I agree with whoever it was that said that C fasciatum is overrated. Mine was so boring I had to trade her off.
what do you expect form a spider?