Ruby's doing her Pope JP II impression again

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone have an explaination for this beyond "she just likes to piss me off"? Why would a T that has eaten seven cricket over the past two days drool?

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i dunno the answer to that, most of my T's does the same, even my slings, I would see that clear fluid in the sides of the vials, even my so-called stripe knee has that same big drool coming out her fangs last night, i'm thinking its probly venom coming out.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what kind of spider is this? is it aboreal? what are you useing for substrate?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
You see a lot of t's do this from time to time iv always been under the belief its to flush out the filler hairs inside the mouth (that stop anything but liquid food going down) so they dont clog but i don’t know if there any proof of this

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ruby is a B. smithi and the substrate is jungle mix.

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds pretty solid fry, she did eat quite a bit this weekend.

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
does Ruby spend a lot of time on the glass?
Not really, in fact this is the first time I've noticed her taking a climb.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats cool, cos if she did then i would say to change the substrate to peat moss

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is it just me or do I see arboreal pads. I didn't know B. smithis had arboreal pads.

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I had her on peat moss before and she didn't like it worth a damn. She roamed a lot on it and even offered to bite every now and then.

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
Is it just me or do I see arboreal pads. I didn't know B. smithis had arboreal pads.
Here's another photo if there is any doubt.... Ha

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Raindog, I am assuming by "drooling" you mean one, or few, clear droplets from the fangs?

If this is the case, my genic does this occasionally. When it does, it is usually after a large meal. I don't know why, maybe getting at all its leftovers?

And my genic spends half his time on the walls, half the time underground =/

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Raindog said:
Here's another photo if there is any doubt.... Ha
Oh there was no doubt. :) Very nice looking smithi, I just picked one up today myself....... I just didn't know that they had the arboreal pads that the arboreal tarantulas have. I thought the bottom of their legs were like G. rosea's. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. :p

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pretty

What a pretty girl ;) I am thinking of adopting one tomorrow. I am very new at keeping T's (Arachnophobic/ bought a G. rosea 2 wks. ago/ held her in my hands for 1st time this eve.,....terrifying & amazing!) I've always appreciated the beauty of red knees
What am I looking for when people are mentioning arboreal pads? Is this for climbing? I would like an A. versicolor eventually and would like to understand
arborreal T's better 1st, of course.

ps- Shady Lady, my rosie, drools after a meal too...but it was just a drop of amber-looking fluid, and, slurp! She sucked it back up. :?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
If you're talking about the small apendages on the tarsus those are the claws that all tarantulas have. All tarantulas also have scopula pads on their feet they're just wider and more suited to climbing on arboreal Ts.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Drooling T's...

I have seen some of my T's do that after a large meal. I have no idea why but Frylock's idea of flushing sounds credible to me.

CreepyExotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ya ive seen the same thing out of my P. miranda and it scared me . i wasnt sure what it was. im going to keep watching her and see if it gets worse and see where it takes me i hope it doesnt happen again .. :? :?

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Are you sure that the liquid is originating from her mouth? I'm sure I read that tarantulas can expel liquid waste from their "armpits".

It could be that she's so full that she's regurgitating some liquid to lower the pressure.

Interesting.