trapdoor spider...

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, last time I went to Super Pet in London they had a trapdoor spider for about $50. I hesitated to get it because I was under the impression they're very vemonous. But I read tonight they're not really that bad. SO, now I'm going past London again tomorrow, and I'm thinking of getting it. Unfortunately I don't know what kind it is, just the most common I'm assuming. Does anyone have any info about temperment, temps, humidity, size, or any other important info about trapdoors? I know I'll never see it, but thats ok! :)

Thanks ahead of time,
emilsmee

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i want one soo bad too, after my buddy mattyb bought one yesterday. in fact i called my local petstore today quoted me some prices, he said $40 for the red phase and $20 for the black phase. he doesnt know much about trap doors, he's like me, more of a tarantula person. i ask the difference of the 2 phase, he said the red one gets a little bigger and comes out the burrow more often.

here a link, hope this helps;

http://www.giantspiders.com/article9.html

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lol I was looking at one the other day, it was a Stasimopus robertsi...African Red Trapdoor, here what Ive found out about them so far:

Full size: 2-3 inches
Very aggressive, potent venom
Temp/Humidity: 75-85F/60-70%(although substrate should be relatively dry)
Unless you buy them as a spiderling you must start their burrow for them, there should be alot of leaves, twigs, ect of different sizes for them to construct the trapdoor.

Doesnt seem like there is that much out there on keeping them. I might go pick one up, only 20 bucks over here ;P

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
emilsmee said:
Ok, last time I went to Super Pet in London they had a trapdoor spider for about $50. I hesitated to get it because I was under the impression they're very vemonous. But I read tonight they're not really that bad. SO, now I'm going past London again tomorrow, and I'm thinking of getting it. Unfortunately I don't know what kind it is, just the most common I'm assuming. Does anyone have any info about temperment, temps, humidity, size, or any other important info about trapdoors? I know I'll never see it, but thats ok! :)

Thanks ahead of time,
emilsmee
I was searching info on them last night.

In the other arachnid's section use the search button and type trapdoor, lots of info.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Everything that I've read about them has indicated a more potent venom that your average tarantula.

Jon

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks, that was a very helpful site. i wonder how aggressive they are compared to say, an h. lividum? that was much too aggressive for me, and i'm going to stay away from pokes and taps altogether...

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what i saw at the petstore they are alot more aggressive then my H. lividum, but why does that matter I mean your not going to be handling them...and given a burrow I bet they calm down real quick. There where a couple of cool threads over in the other forum about building their burrow against the glass for veiwing, since once their in their burrow they dont come out for more then a split second to grab food.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh another thing, if you look at the link i gave you, they can live up to 10-15 years!!! :D just like your average T's.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah like Joe said, i bought one saturday at a reptile show and brought him home and put him in his new home and the dumb thing drowned in his water dish.... :(