B. annitha x B. smithi

rafasani

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I´ve seen several B. annitha pictures on the web, and I can´t seem to notice any difference between B. annitha and B. smithi... Is there any noticeable difference between these two species??

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
There seems to be quite the disagreement in the hobby as to whether B. annitha is a seperate species, or just a color form of B. smithi. From what I've seen, the only difference is on the carapace. But I am far from an expert on Brachypelma, so I'll let someone that does know more details explain it better.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
To date, B. annitha is still a valid name. However, as LPacker79 said, they are believed to be a color variant of B. smithi rather than a species on its own. The most noticeable difference would be the "greyer" cephalothorax with orange on the edges, and that the legs are said to have more orange instead of white. (see this picture)

P.S. I thought you were gona show us some pix of a cross breed lol.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P.S. I thought you were gona show us some pix of a cross breed lol.[/QUOTE]
Thats what i thought too

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Good stuff there Eddy (but what else would we expect from Brachyman ;P ) I like many seeing that spider for the first time thought that it is at best a race or colour form, but if you can see that the spermatheca differs that fact means it warrants investigation in the form of new samplings of animals from its believed range.