Dead red knees :-( help?

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK this is the second red knee brachypelma smithi that i have lost in the same way both times. they both stopped eating like they were goin to molt for 3-4 weeks. Then they just die. both had this white stuff around the fangs. this was not there when they were alive. after they die they seem to ball it up in there mouth with lots of dirt. I can not see any worms anywhere in the mouth. Lungs are clean same with the but. There is nothing in the water. None of my other T have died in this mannor. Only the two smithies. The first one was about 4in not mature male that died last summer. The second one was a female about 4in died last night. here are some pics

Attachments

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that is strange i have never seen anything like it. do you think taht it was mold or some thing? did you mist the tank often? sad to hear about your loss

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your loss...i just lost a Trapdoor.... :(

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Looks like a serious case of nematode infection. You should freeze your loved one's remains before discarding them. And check your source of food. Do you feed them WC insects? Do you breed your own feeders? Do you prefer buying small amounts of crickets from pet stores? I would strongly recommend you to stop feeding your other T's with the same food for the time being.

coReY

Arachnopeon
That looks like a disease to me, you should isolate the infected ones and spread out what other T's you might have to prevent it from infecting others..

Atleast thats what I would to... just to be safe :) atleast untill someone who knows something about this comes along and tells you if its safe.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
Sorry to hear about your loss...i just lost a Trapdoor.... :(
i died all ready, it was just yesterday you were looking for some advise on it. sorry for you loss. better luck nect time.

ps-do you know what when wrong?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
i died all ready, it was just yesterday you were looking for some advise on it. sorry for you loss. better luck nect time.

ps-do you know what when wrong?

i put a water dish in for him cause i figured he would drink out of it like a T and the dumb thing goes and drownds in it.... :(

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
i put a water dish in for him cause i figured he would drink out of it like a T and the dumb thing goes and drownds in it.... :(
now that is bad luck. next tim you should put some small rocks in there so it does'nt drown. again sorry for your loss.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
now that is bad luck. next tim you should put some small rocks in there so it does'nt drown. again sorry for your loss.

I'm going to have to have my local pet store make a special order for me if i want another trapdoor...maybe i'll just stick with Ts...i know how to care for them.... :cool:

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like nematodes to me too. If you don't mind me asking, what substrate where the smithi's in?

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nematode infection...

Weird... I inspect every deceased T of mine upon its passing and have never seen that before. I suspect it is some kind of infection/parasite.
Sorry for your loss. I would also like to inquire what kind of substrate she was on too.

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it looks like some kinda mm poisoning to me.. well i dont realli know what happened but.. sorry to hear bout it~

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
nematodes...
I'd go through and double check your other Ts. Get rid of whatever food source you had for them too. If you can, send them to REISM, look for the sticky at the top of the T forum for information. You can also email Kerry.

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep all my Ts on dry peat moss. The two pics are of the same female. I feed all my Ts store bought crickets. Both were captice breed. I dont know if its nematodes cuz i cant see any worms. Its only around the fangs. Its like she ate her own poop. Its chalky when dry and it runs when you get it wet. Non of my other Ts have been affeted by it. only the two red knees. the first one with it died over a year ago and i thought it was nematodes. I cleaned all the tanks, got new hides. nothing seemed to go wrong till now.

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry for your loss. but B. smithi should be captive bred and free of parasites. Did you house them in the same tank and recyle the substrate?

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She was not in the same tank that the first one died in. I cleaned all the tanks. I used lots of water with a little bleach on all of the tanks. I bought all new dirt. i dunno what to do. None of my other ts seem to be affected. :(

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
I'm going to have to have my local pet store make a special order for me if i want another trapdoor...maybe i'll just stick with Ts...i know how to care for them.... :cool:
What did you do with the body? Not to give you false hope but there is a slim chance it could have "woken up".