It's Raining Females!

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Three molts of 3" - 3 1/2" spiders in the past few days. All exuvium readable. The good news is that my only B. klaasi is a female. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

The bad news is that two B. smithi are also female. I've already got three larger females, and was really, really hoping one of these would be a male. One more juvie building up to a molt soon, and my fingers are crossed that it will be an extremely virile male. Although, with what seems to be quite an abundance of B. smithi out there, not sure they are the best choice to be thinking of breeding.

G. rosea has eaten a few crickets recently, so I'm getting excited, thinking it might be worth a shot to introduce her to my male. Still wish she'd molted, but the return of appetite is something, anyway.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on the b.klaasi being female mines only like 1.25" so I have awhile before mine can be sexed. I hope the last B.smithi is a male so you can breed him with your other females :D. I am waiting to see if the B.smithi we have is male because it doubled in size in less than a yr :) It keeps shredding its molts so we can't see if its a male or female. Its 4" now and hopefully next molt might if it is a he his mature molt :)

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Raining girls...

I would pass out if I had all girls like that! :}

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Thanks, y'all. I guess it's not such a bad thing to have five B. smithi females. :D If #6 doesn't turn out to be a male, guess I'll be able to find one somewhere. Just was a bit shocked, actually. And really happy about the B. klaasi. Now will await the onset of maturity in a couple of years. This tarantula breeding seems to involve a lot of long-range planning.

And am still way stoked over successful breeding of G. rosea last night. I'm hooked for sure.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
spidergoddess said:
Thanks, y'all. I guess it's not such a bad thing to have five B. smithi females. :D If #6 doesn't turn out to be a male, guess I'll be able to find one somewhere.
Yep, just think of all the slings you could potentially end up with if you get a male! :eek:

My guess is that even if it was on a breeding loan, you and the breeding partner would be up to your 'pits in slings for a while... in other words, it could be worse ;)

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You know you just blew like 6 years of good luck?

I wouldn't even get out of bed if I were you....

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
seems you have a little spider harem started...LOL

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Oh, heavens, it already looks like there are an overabundance of B. smithi slings on the market. All I'd need would be to be stuck with tons of them and no buyers. (Course, there's always the option of One Fat Sling. :eek: )

Nah, I never kill spiders, so am infused with good luck! Bad luck traditionally comes to those who kill spiders, you know!

My harem may yet get lucky and find a Don Juan de Spido one of these days. (Wonder how the male G. rosea on the shelf with them feels?)

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
The sixth one molted. Another female. Running a B. smithi nunnery, apparently.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
spidergoddess said:
Oh, heavens, it already looks like there are an overabundance of B. smithi slings on the market. All I'd need would be to be stuck with tons of them and no buyers. (Course, there's always the option of One Fat Sling. :eek: )
O, Spidergoddess! SHE who rains crix from above! Do bless US with thine overabundance of slings! That WE may save the embodiments of eight-legged cuteness from the chelicerae of the One! The One that is called fatso, obese, humongo-spider and all the thousands of names by which The Ravenous One is known! WE who would so graciously and willingly help YOU in our ways to bear such a dubious burden implore THEE!!!

{D {D {D
LMAO!
{D {D {D

I kill me, I should do standup for myself, but that would seem wrong somehow...seriously, I'm sure there are plenty on here who would GLADLY help you find homes (very GENEROU$$$ homes ;) ) for your potential future brood....

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Oh my Starzz and stockings! ROTFLMAO When you go on Last Comic Standing, you'll have my vote. :D