Moult Q

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I want to ask everybody this Q
How do you know that your Ts will moult?
I know some factors:eg. Ts do not eat any food....
Can anyone tell more about this topic for me?
Thanks

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
New World Ts will develop a darkened bald patch on their abdomen. This is an indication of the new urticating bristles developing under the old exoskeleton. Burrowing Ts will usually seal their burrows with silk and stay down while molting. Arboreals will do the same, just off the ground. Staying webbed in is not the best indication though as a lot of Ts stay hidden the majority of the time anyway.

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The most reliable indicator for me has been getting off feed. My spiders (slings and juvies) have molted somewhere between 1 -2 weeks after refusing to take a meal.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Imminent shed...

Yes, indicators for a shed are going off feed, laying a silk mat to flip over on. and of course fading of color (if any) and darkening of cuticle (bald spot on abdomen).
I have noticed my T's eat like pigs a month or so before shed then stop all consumption right before the impending shed, like they are storing up energy for the molt.

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also if you keep records of their molts you can kind of tell when they are due. I use mine to help me. For instance, my B. Vagans rejected the cricket I tried to feed her (I hope!) last week and I've been watching her closely since. Her molting since I've had her has gone like this:
12/29 - 1/25 - 2/20 - 3/23 - 4/30 - 6/20...so when I saw her lay some webbing down last night, I figured it was time. She is molting now as I type. Keep your fingers crossed for a female!!

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
blckwidow75 said:
She is molting now as I type. Keep your fingers crossed for a female!!
Rats!! MALE. :mad:
I guess it all balances out. I have 10 so far that are sexed and 5 are females, 5 are males. Wouldn't it be nice if you could choose which ones were females???