G. rosea MATED!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Oh, why didn't anybody tell me what an absolute RUSH it is to breed tarantulas?????? WOW. I am so amazed at the beauty of their meeting. Here I was expecting the worst, and everything just went perfectly. I put the male into the female's tank, and first held the top of the male's Kritter Keeper between them, with long tweezers in my other hand. The female was very interested in what was going on in her home, so was sitting on her side of the barrier with a leg or two reaching to the other side. The male's first thought was to go climb out of the female's cage.

And then, she started drumming. He stopped and listened. At this point, I figured it looked promising enough, so removed the barrier. She drummed again, and he ran over to face her, where he did some small drumming motions with his pedipalps. Communication was good, and suddenly they lept together, legs reaching up and intertwining - that was truly the most beautiful part, those legs tangled together.

I am assuming there were insertions, as the two stayed together for several minutes. Dratted light reflection on the glass got in the way of my seeing that point of contact. The male was definitely doing something.

Then they pulled apart, keeping touch with toetips, he backing away slowly. At this point I came in with the tweezers, placed them in front of the female to prevent any last second lunges, and held the Kritter Keeper top for the male to climb aboard.

Oh, I just can't believe my first experience with spider breeding went so well. What a thrill! Both parties (partiers?) are settled back in their respective homes once more. Now, should I wait until I see him make another sperm web, and then attempt another mating?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mating my P.murinus was like that, Cooper and I tried mate 2 G.roeas on sat and it turned out nothing like that. The first female wasn't reseptive at all, we ended up having to separate them. On his second mating he got on insertion before he was chased away

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congradulations on your success! Now you get to do the count down waiting for an eggsack. Glad you had so much fun. I won't be ready for this for a while. My husband keeps saying please don't do this. He doesn't want me to have all the little slings to raise. Good luck on getting an egg sack. At least here you have several girls to give you advice.

Sharon

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Breeding fever...

Congrats!!! Breeding T's definitely releases endorphines in the brain. It is jaw dropping to witness. Unless, of course she nails him right away and eats him. :(

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Thanks for the congrats. I'm really glad my first experience didn't end in a gourmet dinner for the female. (Though that probably would have been a fairly jaw-dropping experience, too.)

Will you be putting the roseas together again for another try, 8 leg wonder? Best of luck!

Oh Sharon, you've got to develop "selective hearing" in the presence of your husband. Claim the crickets must have drowned out all of the don't's and won't's. Or tell him you're practicing for a future breeding of P. metallica at $450. per sling... :D

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my G. roseas are living next to each other and my boyfriend keeps putting off their mating. now i have good motivation.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I KNOW the feeling! When I lost my "T breeding virginity" I was in awe and couldn't speak at first. My husband and I just looked at each other and went "Wow". Then I called everyone I knew, most of whom didn't care, then I posted here and felt like a teenager who just go her license. Now, after seeing it so many times, I can say it is STILL an exciting an beautiful thing to watch!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats!! :D I keep hearing g. roseas aren't as easy to breed as people think, so glad to hear there may be another batch of CBs on the market! :)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
guys a quick question...

in English, is there a diffrence between breeding and mating?
mating being the act it self, and breeding actual getting young?

so breeding rosea is hard, but mating them is easy?

also, when can one say:"i have bred this species"? after getting a sac? after getting eggs with legs? or only after getting spiderlings (and thus independent spiders?)

Eddy

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
metallica said:
in English, is there a diffrence between breeding and mating?
mating being the act it self, and breeding actual getting young?

so breeding rosea is hard, but mating them is easy?

also, when can one say:"i have bred this species"? after getting a sac? after getting eggs with legs? or only after getting spiderlings (and thus independent spiders?)

Eddy
With the deterioration of the English language, breeding and mating are pretty much interchangeable. Usually the word "successful" is added to note that you got a sac and it hatched into little s'lings!

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Good question, Eddy. I hadn't much thought about it. Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary offers:

breeding:4: the sexual propagation of plants or animals.

breeder: one that breeds; as b: one engaged in the breeding of a specified organism

breed:1: to produce (offspring) by hatching or gestation 3: to propagate (plants or animals) sexually and usu. under controlled conditions 5 a: to mate with; inseminate b: impregnate

I have always heard that an animal has been "bred" with the meaning that it has been mated. Following that, along with the dictionary #5 for "breed," I am thinking it is within correct useage for one to say one will "breed" or has "bred" interchangeably with "mate" and "mated"...

ALTHOUGH - I really don't think I want to say I mated any spiders. Sounds a bit kinky to me. Thanks for the chance to think a bit. I am certainly hoping the spiders I bred will result in a successful breeding. :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:eek: "Mate" is what our Aussie and British friends call each other!! :eek: