E. pachypus/E.constrictus

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just aquired an unidentified T that I've narrowed down to on of the above 2 sp. I did a search and didn't come up with much info. I was wondering if anybody has care info. I'm also wondering how big it will get. I don't have time now but I'll post a pic when I get home from work.

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Rose Haired, this is a total guess, but is that a Chaco in your avatar? I just noticed that it looks almost exactly like mine when seen through the really hazy lid :)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
eksong said:
Hi Rose Haired, this is a total guess, but is that a Chaco in your avatar? I just noticed that it looks almost exactly like mine when seen through the really hazy lid :)
No its actually my unsexed Acanthoscurria chacoana juv. :)

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dammit and here I was thinking my identification skills were improving :eek:

By the way 8 Leg Wonder, careful with the maintenance, I hear those tarantulas have a pretty nasty bite!

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jordan, it is my hand in the pic, so I demand you post the other mystery T ;) :p (seriously, maybe in another thread))

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
I may just have too get some Eucratoscelus now iv started too pick up some old worlders again i only ever had one E.pachypus a W/C female but i had a few E.constrictus sling's (im guessing they were from a W/C females sac) and yes there just as slow ;)

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

rosehaired1979 said:
Looks like a E.pachypus
why? (What are the differences between E. pachypus and E. constrictus?) =;-)

all the best,
Martin

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
rosehaired1979 said:
I am only going by the pic because it looks like the one we have :)
besides the fact, that this is not the propper way to make a reliable ID, how do you know which species you have!?

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd actually like to know what the differences are between pachypus and constrictus.
I've got a pair I believe to be pachypus, but would love to know for sure. Of course the pet shop had them incorrectly labeled as featherleg baboons.
Ralph

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Ok Martin was interested to know how you all knew the spiders you have are E.pachypus and not E.constrictus if you don’t know in what ways constrictus differs from pachypus :? , ok first off although we cant say 100% these two shown here are pachypus from pictures if you a have spider with rear leg’s as incrassate as the two spiders here you don’t have E.constrictus as it’s leg IV is in no way shape or form as incrassate (swollen) as E.pachypus and also lacks the "fuffy hair" also on leg IV first off here's a pic of an (i would guess) adult E.constrictus >Here< and E.pachypus >Here< also here is the paper for E.pachypus >Here< hope that helps from having had both it would be hard to mix them up as adults, BTW does any one really still have E.constrictus :?

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
rknralf said:
I'd actually like to know what the differences are between pachypus and constrictus.
I've got a pair I believe to be pachypus, but would love to know for sure. Of course the pet shop had them incorrectly labeled as featherleg baboons.
Ralph
A pair as in two spiders or a pair as in 1.1 of them, i only know of one valid pic of the male of E.pachypus >Here<

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Frylock, I'm now possitive the my T is an E.pachypus. I still curious how big it will get

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Without a good check against a moult (or the spider itself) the best you can get is 99% but to me frank i don’t know of anything doing the rounds that’s a look-alike for E.pachypus, maybe a male E.pachypus being sold as a male E.constrictus would be harder too spot, the is a good description of E.constrictus in A M Smith's "Baboon Spiders" (as E.longiceps as it was then) but bare in mind the male had not been described at that time.

P.s. if your really into African Theraphosid's you should have that book and maybe also join the BTS just my 2p ;) .

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
FryLock said:
Without a good check against a moult (or the spider itself) the best you can get is 99% but to me frank i don’t know of anything doing the rounds that’s a look-alike for E.pachypus, maybe a male E.pachypus being sold as a male E.constrictus would be harder too spot, the is a good description of E.constrictus in A M Smith's "Baboon Spiders" (as E.longiceps as it was then) but bare in mind the male had not been described at that time.

P.s. if your really into African Theraphosid's you should have that book and maybe also join the BTS just my 2p ;) .
What book by who? :confused: Where can I find it? BTS? :confused: :confused: :confused: ?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
What book by who? :confused: Where can I find it? BTS? :confused: :confused: :confused: ?
Opps should have given the full title and ISBN The books full name is "Baboon spiders - tarantulas of africa and the middle east" by Andrew M Smith (ISBN 09510939-7-5) it is of course out of date on some species but still a interesting read IMO, A link for fizgerald the publishers >Here< but the bad news is its not on that list and you will probally have to ask for a copy (US contact is on that page too) link for the BTS >Here< and the ATS >Here< and the DeArGe >Here< BTW with the ISBN number a library may be able to get it for you if cant track it down to buy.

Last edited: