Acrobat Apophysis...

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a question about my Apophysis. I found her hanging by one leg, dangling from the the screen top by two hooks. She was wiggling around, frantic and upset. YIKES... I rescued her from her plight and she stretched out the one leg as to exclaim, " Ahh, thank you!"
??? Has anyone experienced this ?
:?

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
No. My Ts usually put it in writeing by sending me a card if I have to help them out at all! {D :D ;P

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
My Lasiodora cristata has done this a few times and my T blondi used to do it.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I have seen this, and had it happen quite a few times. They start climbing, and dare to put a boot in one of those screen tops! My rose hairs and red knees are bad about that. I like rescuing them though, they let me hold them, and put them down :) Like, "Thanks mommy!" {D

They just get carried away climbing, that is all :)

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
THis is why lots of people recommend not using screen tops. I only have one on all my tanks.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Circus T's...

OK, cool. If she keeps goofing around like that I will put her in a different tank. {D

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Shiver said:
THis is why lots of people recommend not using screen tops. I only have one on all my tanks.
Yes but you can also have accidents with kritter keeper lids. My B. Smithi would hang out in the upper corner of her kritter keeper and bite the plastic and wound up breaking off one of her fangs! I use both and yes, I have rescued T's hanging by a leg many a time!

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hanging around...

I have had only one other T do that, a long time ago. B. Vagans. My only concern really is if she hangs there TOO long. I'll keep my eye on her. After that stunt you'd think she would abandon any more tricks like that. :eek:

earthgirl

Arachnopeon
B.smithi climber

My B.smithi was stuck several times on the screen top, so what I did was build up the substrate so now she can reach the bottom if she is hanging. She hasn't been stuck once since.

I had never held her before, up until I had to unstick her, and I wasn't sure how she would react, as she is a hair kicker. Amazingly enough, after I freed her she just sat on my palm, docile as anything. Maybe they like the warmth.
:?

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hanging around...

Building up the substrate is a good idea, I think I will do that tonight.
Just in case. It can't be comfortable, hanging by two hooks!
My Pink Zebra loves my open palm, I surmise she likes the warmth. :)

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hanging around...

This is one of my Goliaths. This is as far as she would get to the hanging stunt. She's too heavy to climb up there. If she did, I don't know about it. :cool:

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mugshot of the hanging beast...

This photo is over a year old but this is the hanging apophysis. She is much larger now and much darker. Next molt I will take pix, this one is going to be HUGE! :}