Vet

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm just full of crazy thoughts today, but I was wondering. I've seen in books and even read on here about veterinarians not knowing a lot about T's. My question is, why would they? Is there really anything that you would take a T to the vet for?

Jeri

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is a lot about tarantulas that we still don't know about. There could be tons of diseases that affect only them and we wouldn't know it. For example the diskenetic (sp?) disease. Very little is known about that.

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
I dont think there is a chapter in the veterinary books about spiders.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jeri said:
My question is, why would they? Is there really anything that you would take a T to the vet for?

Jeri
good question! at the moment i would say NO there is no need for a vet to know about T's except the basics:
feeding
molting
reproduction
mites (and removing them)
nematodes (how to reconise them, and what to do after a T really has them..... removing the Tfrom the collection and desinfect ALL your T enclosures)
broken legs/ missing legs after a molt
ruptured abdomen
dehydration

as for ICU..... i don't believe in them moist substrate in the tank will also do the trick (if not better, less stress for the spider (they can feel their own silk..))

and all this could learn all this after a single session with a enthousiast T owner such as me or any of you! you could also leave your number at the vets.

Eddy

Last edited:

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's how I feel about it. And also why I wondered why people worried about vets. It's not like you can (or would need/want to) have them spayed or neutered. Most health problems that I've ever heard of can be helped just from this forum.

Jeri

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
metallica said:
as for ICU..... i din't believe in them moist substrate in the tank will also do the trick (if not better, less stress for the spider (they can feel their own silk..))
Eddy
In my experience, ICU is invaluable when the enclosure is infested, or when you need to restrict movement to help hemolymph clot. (Not slamming your beliefs, just noting my experience!!)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
MizM said:
In my experience, ICU is invaluable when the enclosure is infested, or when you need to restrict movement to help hemolymph clot. (Not slamming your beliefs, just noting my experience!!)
it's all good! i use ashes to stop bleeding (sp?)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I use a tiny piece of toilet tissue, the poor T looks like it had a shaving accident! {D

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hear liquid bandaid works very well and isn't harmfull to your T. You reminided me to pick some up before it's "to late". :p

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vets...

If I brought my biggest Blondi into my dog's vet she would probably scream and call the cops.LOL {D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
If I brought my biggest Blondi into my dog's vet she would probably scream and call the cops.LOL {D
I actully wrote to all 7 vets in our town asking if they knew anything about and would be willing treat my Ts. (You need prescription drugs to treat advanced nematode bacterial symbiosis.) I only received ONE reply and she said she would prescribe and dispense anything I needed, as long as she DIDN'T have to see the patient!!

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MizM said:
I actully wrote to all 7 vets in our town asking if they knew anything about and would be willing treat my Ts. (You need prescription drugs to treat advanced nematode bacterial symbiosis.) I only received ONE reply and she said she would prescribe and dispense anything I needed, as long as she DIDN'T have to see the patient!!
Thats a supprising attitude for me. Most vet's I know appreciate all life. Thats a great response tho, a funny thing to say. At least shes willing to work around her fear and still help you out.