a. moderatum questions???

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
anybody know the growth rate of a. moderatum?

also anybody know if they are difficult to breed? i just picked up a 2" juvie and since i am hoping to learn how to breed t's i thought this one might be a good one to start with since its a docile terrestrial

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i really wonder if they grow at all {D
i had a 2" one for over a year, it never molted.......
and yes, i did feed it!

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have a 1.5'' A. moderatum, they are very very sloooow but once mature, they are very beautiful, more prettier than B. smitthi i think. :) they are well worth the wait.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are sllllllooooooowwwwwwwww growers. I have a 1.5" and I have had it a yr and its only molted twice in my care.

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
You might be waiting a while before launching your breeding program with that one. Mine came as a 1 1/2" juvie two years ago, and *might* be close to 3" now. I keep thinking if only it would eat something occasionally, it might grow some. It's always got a huge abdomen, but I doubt it has eaten more than six crickets in the past year. It is an adorable one, but super slow in growth. Good luck!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
S.................l.................o.................w :(

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't understand this species much. I have bought my daughter 2 of these. They seem to be a much smaller tarantula, maybe the desert ones in the US all stay on the smaller size. They seem to mature around the 3" size aprox. One of them matured at a molt and was a male. The other one looks like it is a female. She has not eaten in the several months we have had her. She stays in her little burrow all the time. We tried putting the male and female together, but he seemed too afraid to approach her and he died after about a month. I am just surprised that the one we have left doesn't seem to want to eat. Is this common? She acts like a G. rosea without being active. She is pretty and we can hold her if we want, but we don't do that much. I think my daughter, Laura, was a bit frustrated with her so later on I bought her a "Salmon PinK birdspider" sling.

Sharon

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MizM said:
S.................l.................o.................w :(

Well said, MIZM. I've been waiting 1 1/2 yrs for my little WC female to molt. And , she eats 1 sm cricket every 2 mos, or so. Thinks she's a G. rosea... ;)

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a juvie and gave it to my father in law before last christmas, it has only molted 1 time so far...very very slow...slow as pond water haha!!!

Renee

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
xBurntBytheSunx said:
only six crickets in a year????? :8o
One of the ultimate low maintenance spiders, right up there with G. rosea. The difference there is, when roseas are not fasting, they often eat on a regular basis. I never know if A. moderatum is fasting or still full from the cricket it ate last month. I take out almost as many crickets as I put into the container for this one. But the spider is CUTE! :D