Keeping the Male alive during spider sex

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kind of a strange question, but I have to ask.. need ideas here people-HELP !!

Any suggestions on how to keep a female from eating a male during or after the mating process. Unfortunately I have a male who is my son's " Most favorite spider in the whole world", and hes very in the mood to go visit him live in girlfriend. I have explained that there is a possibility that he might die, but I would like to avoid it if at all possible. Hes lived through two breedings so far, but I am afraid that the third time will be his last !!

Comments on not breeding him are not needed, I am quite aware that is an option.. thanks !!

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ker said:
Kind of a strange question, but I have to ask.. need ideas here people-HELP !!

Any suggestions on how to keep a female from eating a male during or after the mating process. Unfortunately I have a male who is my son's " Most favorite spider in the whole world", and hes very in the mood to go visit him live in girlfriend. I have explained that there is a possibility that he might die, but I would like to avoid it if at all possible. Hes lived through two breedings so far, but I am afraid that the third time will be his last !!

Comments on not breeding him are not needed, I am quite aware that is an option.. thanks !!

I have had some success with using a divided plastic kritter keeper, and as soon as they are done I mist her. She runs back into her clay flowerpot hide, I pop a deli cup over her and then wrangle him back to his corner. He is more nervous and antsy which is why I get her done first. But just keep a mister handy, some long tweezers and all should be well. But htis may depend on the species being bred. What kind if tarantula?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All you can really do is keep a close eye and if things look like they're getting tense, use a flat piece of cardboard or some forceps, chopsticks, snake-hook-type probe etc.etc. and literally try to (gently of course) block the female form advancing on the male while he makes a quick getaway. It's not always foolproof but more often than not, it will work.

Hope that helps.

Atrax

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
I use a wooden spoon. Basically it hovers over them the whole time they are together and as soon as she doesn anything she isnt supposed to it comes between them. I have never had a problem.