Addicted in Michigan:

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, everyone...

I can remember feeling at one point, like there was no way I could possibly ever own and or take care of a Tarantula. It seemed to be something that only certain people were allowed to do and capable of doing, and I guess I figured I just lacked the gene that would allow me to own T's and take care of them properly. Now, I own three T's and am about to get my fourth in a little under five days or so at the Reptile show, and with all that I have learned, studied and been told, I still feel like such a novice and I guess I was curious as to if anyone could tell me, will the uncertainties and the nervousness pass with experience? I think I've been doing far better working with T's than I ever expected myself to, but as I said before, I'm still very compulsive about alot of things, and very nervous and uncertain. Not too sure what the point of this thread was, but I figured I'd like to say something so why not? I am a person who is very easily discouraged, spooked, and bored...and there may come a time where my passion for Tarantulas and spiders goes away but for now, its an addiction that feels good, very good and it has honestly given me alot of hope and push to do more with my life, I've even considered the impossible-task of going to college and becoming an Arachnologist, not bad for a high school drop-out 'eh? I can dream I guess.

Thanks, everyone...-Mr.Arachnid

Attachments

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The main thing on T keeping (and everything else) is to never quit learning. This is THE PLACE to learn more about keeping them

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Iam very compulsive also, and blow hot and cold..but hey variety is the spice of life! As far as being a HS dropout, that doesnt mean anything, you can still do what ever you want. I should know because I dropped out too {D . I also live in MI(Livonia) :D Im now going to an art university in Detroit (CCS), and have gone to UofM. The only thing is you have to start most likely at a community college which isnt so bad as its alot cheaper! We have alot of great college choices in MI, for science MSU is especially good. Being nervous and unsure is a part of doing anything new and Im sure youll be tempered by experience...the skys the limit man!

BTW when and where is the herp show?

Last edited:

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gir said:
Iam very compulsive also, and blow hot and cold..but hey variety is the spice of life! As far as being a HS dropout, that doesnt mean anything, you can still do what ever you want. I should know because I dropped out too {D . I also live in MI(Livonia) :D Im now going to an art university in Detroit (CCS), and have gone to UofM. The only thing is you have to start most likely at a community college which isnt so bad as its alot cheaper! We have alot of great college choices in MI, for science MSU is especially good. Being nervous and unsure is a part of doing anything new and Im sure youll be tempered by experience...the skys the limit man!

BTW when and where is the herp show?
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. As far as the herp show is concerned, it is in Taylor, I've been to it once, cool creatures but some of the people are kind of rude and ignorant, that goes for the people selling stuff, and even the people who are there to buy and or see the stuff. Anyways, here is a link to the website, enjoy and thanks again!

http://www.michiganreptileshow.com/

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i'd say increasing your knowledge about t's and continued experience, accompanied by good results should relieve anxiety.

what kind of t are you going to get at the reptile show?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
xBurntBytheSunx said:
well i'd say increasing your knowledge about t's and continued experience, accompanied by good results should relieve anxiety.

I don't want to speak for him, but he has told me in recent days that he wants to get a H.Lividum

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im from Michigan too. Muskegon to be specific. Im at the Art Institute of Phoenix right now studying 3D art, but I will return to Michigan for a time before I go out into the world on my own.

It sounds like you're doing good and getting the hang of things. Im positive your fear will subside all the way if not close to it. The only reason you are afraid is because you are unexpierenced and uneducated enough to feel completley relaxed. By un edcuated im not making a blow at you dropping out, I mean T's of course. Almost everyone comes into this hobby not knowing a lot. You will catch the hang of things, and at 3 T's it sounds like you are going to start learning a lot fast. Welcome to the boards and the hobby BTW! :D

I dont know anything about the requirments for making Tarantulas a profession but I wish you the best of luck and dont be shy sharing anythint interesting you learn with us.

If you don't mind me asking what part of Michigan is the show going to be at, and what time frame is it happening in?

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have to say I understand completely what you're talking about, MrArachnid... I've always loved animals and tarantulas inparticular and getting back into the hobby finally the way I imaginied I would be free to do so has really filled up a void in me. As crazy as it sounds I think I was always meant to be doing what I'm doing now. :rolleyes:

Hope can be scarce, honey... take it where you can find it and just be glad for it. :)

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The world of tarantulas...

With time and getting more T's you will learn vast amounts regarding these magnificent creatures. The uncertainty will fade with time.
I purchased my first tarantula in 1979 and since I have never regretted this awesome hobby. My enthusiasm has never waned and continues to erupt with more excitement every day. :)

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
xBurntBytheSunx said:

Well, to be completely honest I have no idea what I'll actually walk out with because I have to base it on the amount of cash I have and if I can find a guaranteed female specimen. As far as the species I'm after, at the top of my list right now is definately an H.lividum(female preferably) and or a B.auratum(female preferably). Who knows what I'll actually walk out with LOL....-Mr.Arachnid

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
Im from Michigan too. Muskegon to be specific. Im at the Art Institute of Phoenix right now studying 3D art, but I will return to Michigan for a time before I go out into the world on my own.

It sounds like you're doing good and getting the hang of things. Im positive your fear will subside all the way if not close to it. The only reason you are afraid is because you are unexpierenced and uneducated enough to feel completley relaxed. By un edcuated im not making a blow at you dropping out, I mean T's of course. Almost everyone comes into this hobby not knowing a lot. You will catch the hang of things, and at 3 T's it sounds like you are going to start learning a lot fast. Welcome to the boards and the hobby BTW! :D

I dont know anything about the requirments for making Tarantulas a profession but I wish you the best of luck and dont be shy sharing anythint interesting you learn with us.

If you don't mind me asking what part of Michigan is the show going to be at, and what time frame is it happening in?
I don't mind at all, the reptile show is in Taylor, Michigan and I believe the time frame is like 10AM to 3PM...here also, is a link to their website if you'd like any further info. Thanks alot for the advice, I really appreciate it!

http://www.michiganreptileshow.com/