T blondi's and anoles

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 3" T blondi now has a taste for anoles. Anyone have a clue as to why the lizard turns black as it is consumed? Usually starts to turn from the bite point as it is eaten until the whole thing is reduced.

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
I have seen this with my Lasiodora parahybana who likes to eat anoles. I am pretty sure it is just the fact that the animal is being digested and rotting very fast.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a guess but I would think that the mix of the anole's natural internal fluids combined with the T's venom and enzymes just mix up and create that color.
I have noticed many times that even when an anole is first attacked, their coloration usually goes quite dark.

Take care

Atrax

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wonder if it has anything to do with the Anole's naturally ability to change color.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I figured it was from the venom digesting the anole but was more interested if anyone had a scientific answer as to the chemical reactions taking place that casue the color change as the anole doesn't change to it's alternative brown color. Almost looks bluish black. Sorry should have clarified. The anole seems to stay green and the black slowly spreads over the course of the meal as it is sucked down, eventually left as a tiny ball of skin with a few bones.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know that when you find dead anole's they are usually black. I found one at the pet shop a couple of days ago all dried out in the cage. Apparently they didn't even think to check in on the poor thing. :\