Dead "Asian Birdeater"

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I went to the pet store to pick up a block of 'Bed A Beast' (really... just going for the BAB. :D) and they had 3 Ts, so of course I had to look. ;) One was a small 3" rosehair for 20$, another was an "Orange Baboon" T for 30$, I couldn't get a good look at it since it was all webbed up in a corner cocoon, and for 20$ they had an "Asian Birdeater", which I couldn't see at all so I asked them to get the keeper out for me so I could look in. Well when I did, it was dead. :( Death Curl, all that... it was very dark charcoal gray with black 'tiger' stripes on the butt, I'm guessing it was a c. paganus. It was about 2&1/2", very sad to see this. The pet store guy mumbled something about some lady "just checking them on thursday" and seemed embarrassed, but he should have been ashamed of the nasty kritter keepers they were in. :mad: No water, about 5 crickets hopping all over the dead one and pebbles in the bottom -- it was ugly!!!!

I told him to at least use bed a beast and make sure they have a little water ("spiders get all the water they need from food", he told me), and only feed them one or two crix at a time and remove them if it doesn't eat/ after it eats. There was a layer of bug ick on the bottom of the g. roseas keeper. :( I told him about mites and fungus and he seemed interested, so hopefully he was. You wouldn't think he'd want to lose anymore stock at least, though this was a very humid mainly fish pet store I'd never been to before. I'll visit at least one more time to see if he's taken any time to house them better and if he doesn't I won't be back. I just rescued another g. rosea and am considering going back for the one he had, it was very cute and not scared at all of "the hand." ;) LOL

I just ordered a slew of L. parahybana s'lings... =oP shew, I'll be full up soon, LOL {D

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:
I told him to at least use bed a beast and make sure they have a little water ("spiders get all the water they need from food", he told me),
Now now kid's who work in pets shops always know best ;)

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
FryLock said:
Now now kid's who work in pets shops always know best ;)
I wish I could blame it on the stupidity of know it all youths... but unfortunately this man was in his 40s. :p He seemed to be the owner of the pet store, too, I can only assume he's been doing this for years. :confused: Probably hears this all the time from people and it just goes in one ear, out the other. :(

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Too true or in the case of inverts many of them are still so cheap at source for him too care :(

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pet stores...

I know how you feel. I am continuously appalled by how pet stores keep their T's. I try to stay out of them because I end up rescuing all of them.
Bright hot lights, no water, mold and fungus growing rampant. Rotting crickets decaying with wild abandon. In most cases, I ask for the manager and convey my concern, but usually he/she doesn't give a crap and just looks at me like I forgot my "pill" this morning.
On a brighter facet, never give up because there is one store here in Fort Wayne that has cleaned up their act and even called me a month after my "educational program" to say that they have had no dead T's since my intervention. I was rewarded with an account from Pet Ware House to exclusively obtain all their T's from me.
Never give up...

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just 'saved' a couple this last weekend that were in keepers with feces from at least 2 prevous occupants (possibly snake or lizard) with no water. After about 30 minutes over their new waterbowls and 3 or 4 crickets they seem much less shriveled.

Actually going to write them a letter and include copies of caresheets since they seemed surprised that their 'reptile guy' was not taking as good a care of them as they thought.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pet stores...

That's awesome Milkman! I think when push comes to shove the store will ultimately appreciate care sheets. They can't sell dead spiders.

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
pet shops in my area sells T's just for the sake of earning money, they do not "LOVE" them like... we do :p so i am not surprised to see the Ts in small tanks, jus 2 times the size of the T, no soil or anything just a plain plastic tank with about 2 to 3 crickets hopping around and as usual no water. i asked them why they said the T might drown in it.. duh...

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pet stores

My younger brother works at a local pet store and I have educated him on T's so he makes sure they are ok. Education makes all the difference heh.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well we got 2 petshops where i live (well actually in the next town).
one called me when the delievery guy came in and let me know whant he had (rosies and pinktoes). they don't carry T's and will only let them be in the store after you tell them you will pick it up (or it will go back 2 days later)
the other storte has them just about all the time. in a shelf/drawer system type thing whith about 12 or 16 little drawers/compartments each about the size of a babywipes box (maby 4" by 9" and about 5" high) in each usually a dry delicup (sometimes overturned if no animal is in there) substrate is most the time sand or peat with about 3 crix running about.
plus whatever T you will buy goes into the cartboard box for hampsters
they have rosies, sometimes a pinktoe, last year they did have a cobalt baboon for $70 in a small critter keeper..the keeper was sitting inside an old fishtank. it was all webbed up and dirty looking. couldn't see a thing. they said you'd have to buy the keeper too ( it would be a few dollars extra), because they refused to handle this T. one person in there even told me it tried to kill her when they tried moving it to a different keeper. but since i was looking to buy my first T, i stayed away from the cobalt.
dianne

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't call buying a T from that enviroment 'rescuing' You teach them that no matter how he keeps them you will still buy them and he still makes the all mighty buck-this is what he was after. So now he has his buck and buys more t's to replace hte ones he sold so you can 'rescue' one or two from him so he makes more money but in the mean time how many have you sentanced to death, like the ones you don't buy and if you buy them all then your just paying him to do it again.. make sence?

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think it's excellent that you are trying to educate the ignorant pet shop owners about tarantula care.

I would ask this though: When you "rescue" a tarantula from one of these shops, what do you think the owner will spend the money on? Another poor tarantula of course. I never buy pets from inhumane shops. It's sad as hell but buying them only perpetuates the suffering.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
luther said:
I think it's excellent that you are trying to educate the ignorant pet shop owners about tarantula care.

I would ask this though: When you "rescue" a tarantula from one of these shops, what do you think the owner will spend the money on? Another poor tarantula of course. I never buy pets from inhumane shops. It's sad as hell but buying them only perpetuates the suffering.
In the End of the rescue operation your outh some doegh but saved on spider outa how many where there? and the pet shop owner jsut counts his money busy another raises the price and damns another into suffering ;)

MoRBiD

Arachnopeon
hi,

a waterdish is not always necessary for a t.
i'm keeping several t'S without any waterdish and they don't have any problems at all...
as long as there's enough humidity in the soil and enough food (yes, they take a lot of water thru their food. i heard, even thru breathing humid air...) they won't need a separate waterdish....