Premature molt

harwin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At first I thought it was moulting in an upright position. In case it might be a problem I did some searching on the net. I realised it is a premature molt. Is there anything I can do for it? How long should I wait before declaring it dead? How do I prevent this in the future?

Its a b.boehmi btw... Strangely enough the only other thread on this forum I could find on premature molt was also a b.boehmi.

Anyway this was the site that gave me the clue.

http://giantspiders.com/ailments.html
Quote "Sign of a premature moult are the carapace has lifted while the spider is in the upright position (see photo below). There is usually no moulting pad present either. Premature moult spiders almost always die. "

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just because it is molting upright does not mean it is a premature molt INFACT IME I have yet to see premature motling even exists. Many tarantulas will molt upright and some more molt without a webbing map. Simply stop and wait it out my bets are it will pull out fall over and do the stretch thing like usual. Do a search for upright molts.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep my Curly Hair molted up right. and it was on time too. I don't think there is a such thing as premature molt either. After it was finished molting it flipped over to stretch its legs. Another member I saw that their t molted up right and it also flipped over when the time came to stretch its legs. So don't worry you're t will pull out fine.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
By deffinition [spelling] wouldn't a premy molt mean that hte spider attempts to molt before hte bottum layer of skin is ready? or in other words the spider would 'splode and its guts would just leak out.. I really don't think it happens..

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would have to agree with you Malhavoc's I think it would mean "molting before developing the under lying skin" Which I also think would be impossible. There is nothing to worry about even the liquid its all normal as for the legs raising off of the ground that is the spider building pressure to pop the top or to get the process started.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some liquids will be noticiable it will be 'lubes' to help the spider get out of that tight old skin of its..

harwin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm no idea why there are 2 threads... at more than 1 hr apart... maybe due to using back button. Anyway its still in the same position. no change. Will check again in 10hrs.

harwin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its still same position .. no change... How do I tell if its dead or alive? Damn this is depressing.../

Anyway thanks for the infos, I will leave it there till it develop mold before declaring it dead...

Btw will feeding T on a superworm diet casue molting prob? That was the only change I did recently for over a month and also moving it to a bigger tank about 3 weeks ago.

thks,

Last edited:

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How big is this spider? If its a sling its probably dead, older spider might still be taking a good long time to molt but I would still think its probably dead. At this point I think you should tap it. Are you sure its molting? Maybe its not and is just sitting there? Being happy and stuff. I dunno 2 days is a long time for a spider to molt. Not saying its impossible but very unlikely. Anyways though see if its alive.

harwin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's ~3". There is molding on the raised (distorted or bulged) portion of the carapace now :(. So it should be dead. Previously that raised portion of the carapace looked translucent at the side now it is black and dry looking.