Premature molt

harwin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At first I thought it was moulting in an upright position. In case it might be a problem I did some searching on the net. I realised it is a premature molt. Is there anything I can do for it? How long should I wait before declaring it dead? How do I prevent this in the future?

Its a b.boehmi btw... Strangely enough the only other thread on this forum I could find on premature molt was also a b.boehmi.

Anyway this was the site that gave me the clue.

http://giantspiders.com/ailments.html
Quote "Sign of a premature moult are the carapace has lifted while the spider is in the upright position (see photo below). There is usually no moulting pad present either. Premature moult spiders almost always die. "

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pre-molt...

I have heard of this but have yet to experience it. I surmise the T has no control of the molting process, am sorry for the dissapointment. :(

harwin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Recently I noticed some movement of its second right leg and occasional tiny jerks. If I look really closely that is Maybe eyes are playing trick on me. That leg and 3 others are not touching the ground, earlier on they were.

I hope it is molting and not struggling before death. The carapace seem to be lifted more like bulging upward more on the right side. There was some liquid around there that gave the impression it was bleeding but now the liquid is not there and it doesn't look broken.

Anyway will check again in about few hrs...

snake1dk

Arachnopeon
harwin said:
Recently I noticed some movement of its second right leg and occasional tiny jerks. If I look really closely that is Maybe eyes are playing trick on me. That leg and 3 others are not touching the ground, earlier on they were.

I hope it is molting and not struggling before death. The carapace seem to be lifted more like bulging upward more on the right side. There was some liquid around there that gave the impression it was bleeding but now the liquid is not there and it doesn't look broken.

Anyway will check again in about few hrs...
I'm sorry to hear about youre T, but i think it's "only" struggling before death.
I got a A. Versicolor sling, that did just that the other day, and it went on in 72 hours, just about, until it finaly gave up, and died :8o

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know why you posted twice but check your other thread.