Molting

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i've just read a post about a premature molt, i also have a question to ask, my obt hides in there all day long, never comes out and webbed itself into a substrate. it is not eating either, people its going to molt, i;ve read articles about molting and most of them stated that the T would be either lying backwards or sideways.. the question is.. if it is standing as usual, does it mean its not going to molt yet or is there a case where a T will molt standing ?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When they get into a premolt stage they quit feeding and will often web themself into a hide. They won't turn over on their back until they are ready to molt which may take a few days to a few weeks.

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Brian S said:
When they get into a premolt stage they quit feeding and will often web themself into a hide. They won't turn over on their back until they are ready to molt which may take a few days to a few weeks.
actually... what is he reason for them to molt ? why is thee a molting process? should that be good news or is it something that happens with no particular reason? so can i say somethign like... its a good news my T is going to molt.. get what i mean ?

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's how they grow/mature. May I suggest the books,
"Tarantula Keepers Guide" by S. & M. Schultz
"Tarantulas & other Arachnids" by Sam Marshall
They are each a wealth of info. ;)

snake1dk

Arachnopeon
of course it's god news that youre T is going to molt, that means it's growing.
T's and other insects have an acton skelleton ( prob. not spelt right ) and that means theyre skeleton is on the outside of the body, and when the body grows, it needs to get a bigger skeleton, and the old one is to small, so it throws the old one and a new one appear :eek:)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes it is good news that it is molting. This is how the spider grows. They have to shed the exoskeleton. After it molts, wait a few days and throw some crickets in and watch what happens... after their exoskeleton hardens they will have good appetites. I hope that helps
Brian

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BTW as I said in the other thread I don't think 'premature' molting exists. Some t's molt on there sides and backs. This is the usual. but like the Temperment of a G rosea its totaly unperdictable some just molt while standing up without a trace of web others hide themselves so thickly in web you can't see them. The worst that can happen during a molt is considered a 'bad' molt where either limbs of the t get stuck or pat of the old exuvium [spelling] get stuck to the new t. Also occasionaly a T wil ldie because it doesn't shed its stomache linning in which case it will starve to death but I've only read of this in a few cases. Molting is a great thing. Watch it enjoy it DO NOT touch the t. Usualy human interference leads to more trouble then help.