Tell me more - OBT

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well jut to know more.. can anyone just tell me anything about an usambra orange baboon ? just want to know more bout my new T .. thanx~ {D :}

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
They're escape artists!! And once they escape they cannot be found! :( Then you live your life in fear of putting on pants and shoes. Of reaching into small dark corners of cupboards. Sleeping on the floor has become a nightmare! Closets no longer have their allure!! Basements are completely unlivable! Terror is around every corner in every box in every shadow!! Neighbor kids dissapear in your home! Family members refuse to visit!!...its horrible.

Other than that theyre really REALLY cool Ts!! I love my "other" one that hasnt yet escaped :D Great attitudes and they make amazing webs tunnels and such!
Good luck with yours.

Michelle

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
me2

We, too, recently acquired an OBT sling. We have a thin layer of peat moss in there and it has already started webbing a bit. It has made a nice little tunnel in the substrate. There is no water dish at this time...how often should you mist these little guys? I've read that the older ones prefer it more on the dry side. How fast do they grow?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep them on the dry side, I have one and rarely mist the tank, when it gets larger I will put a water dish in the tank, they make great looking web tunnels everywhere or least mine has...they are pretty shy as well...mine will run and hide at the smallest disturbance...when it does come out it is really a neat looking spider....

Good Luck...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fast growing. Fast moving. Webbing eating machines... Is there anything else you can say. Orange blurry T.. I think that acounts for mostly all of it. PM me if you want my molt records for the two I have which are now about 3.5" and 3.25"

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine had a little web chamber built next to a half log, I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed it had enlarged its web by A LOT, and it was adding dirt to it also. So this morning I check in on it and it has a Fortress lol. I turned the cage around since it was also built against the glass and notice that part of the fortress has a giant chamber under the substrate. So thats where all the dirt was coming from. :p This tarantula is a terrestrial, burrowing, and arboreal spider all rolled into one. :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are as tough as nails. Very easy to keep but they will bite. I also keep mine on the dry side with a layer of peat an substrate. Mine will attack insects almost as large as the spider. I have heard and read that they are one of the easiest to breed in captivity. I think we have about covered everything :D

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Brian S said:
They are as tough as nails. Very easy to keep but they will bite. I also keep mine on the dry side with a layer of peat an substrate. Mine will attack insects almost as large as the spider. I have heard and read that they are one of the easiest to breed in captivity. I think we have about covered everything :D
well u mentioned yours attack insects almost as large as itself, but come to think of it, mine doesnt really eat. almost a week by now. even when a cricket walks past right in front of it, all it does is take a few steps back and give way to the crick.. not sure if its preparing to molt.. has been hiding .. hardly see it

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No not quiet everything when they excape check the panty drawer! I read someones escapped and they found it in their under garments one of mine escapped and I checked my drawers and there it was snuggled up in a pair of my kids undies..

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Randychuah said:
well u mentioned yours attack insects almost as large as itself, but come to think of it, mine doesnt really eat. almost a week by now. even when a cricket walks past right in front of it, all it does is take a few steps back and give way to the crick.. not sure if its preparing to molt.. has been hiding .. hardly see it
Sounds like an upcoming molts or its still hardening from a past molt.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Randychuah said:
its fangs are black ..

Keep offering food once a week and see if it takes it...if not remove the food and repeat...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it is preparing to molt which is what it sounds like, it won't eat until it does so. I would just leave it alone for now.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IT also may jsut be adjusting to its new enviroment. And I'm sure The rukkus you provide checking on it like every 5 minutes [I'm not saying you do this.] Doesn't help. Remove crickets place dark towel over it and leave it for say 2 days. if its molting it'll problably have its motling caccoon done by then if not it will probably have a none closed off tube or just minimaly closed off tube web ready to suck in crickets

Randomosity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Got myself a 1.5-2" OBT this past sunday.

Fast and an attitude that would make General George S. Patton look like a sissy-mary.

They are also masters at walling themselves in and not coming out until it's really dark and really quiet.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My OBT has webbed very little. It doesn't actively hunt, either, since large, dead cockroaches magically appear next to the burrow entrance. :) It just wants to be left alone, but will go psycho if the dead cockroach is accidentally dropped on it's cephalothorax. It has a beautiful color but isn't particularly interesting unless I enrage it into a frenzy. ;) I usually don't do that because I'm not crazy. From what I've read on the board, there's a considerable range of behavior from individual to individual, from relatively meek to full-blown psychosis. The best OBT story I read on this board involved an apparently empty cage (no burrow holes), until the OBT exploded out of the substrate. Make sure you know where it is before you open the cage.

Karen N.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm hoping that my OBT slings arrives today! They're my first "mental case" Ts and I'm already shivering like a tree leaf. I ordered them from Germany from a breeder (I think). I'm quite pessimistic though about them arriving today, but let's keep our fingers crossed. Wish me luck, and have some with yours too {D

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well i luv my OBT so much i bought another one, their fairly cheap, mine is like 12 bucks a piece. its better to buy slings, they grow so fast anyways, mine grew from an inch to now 3'' in just 2 months. i like their attitude, very agressive. they luv to eat, would attack crickets of any size, mine like to burrow and like to web alot i keep mine in an empty peanut butter jar with 5'' peat moss and the entire top of the jar is completely covered with web. :)