heating, yes or no ?

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i heard a friend of mine tellign me that i should do something to keep my tarantula warm... he even suggested that i use a black light to heat the tank.. what do u guys think cos i dun reallie trust what he said (he doesnt have a T) btw is heating required ?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What species are we talking about?
What is your hosue temputure.
and the best heating solution if its even needed is one of those heating mats stuck to one side of the enclosure that way it doesnt bake under heat can get away from it and doesnt burrow into the core of its earth so to speak lol...

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i am talking about an OBT usambra orange baboon ... my house temperature is about hmm, 29'C in the afternoon and about 23'C at night .. well ?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's more than warm enough. If temps were say, 15-18 then you'd need some heating, but mid to high 20's is more than ample. :)

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leave them at room temps, they will be just fine at those temps....

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
Molting once or twice a month? I hope you are joking because that is very untrue.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if a sling, that could be entirely true. i had a sling molt 3 times in one month.

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ive had a OBT sling moult twice in one month.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for heat i use the undertank pads. For everytank i have except one i got that small heat pad (was like 7$?) i put it UNDER the tank, lots of you will crucify me for this but it is only a 2 watt heater. not very hot at all. I held this one in my hand for 30 mins and it never got hott enough to bother me. Not like those hot rocks can get. Also bear in mind you're going through ABOUT 3-4" OF SUBSTRATE. So by the time it gets to the T it has only raised temp maybe 5-10 Degrees. the pads are some kind of repti therm pad and will work on plastic, because they are low temp they wont melt it.

EDIT: oh yeah i havent turned mine on all summer. when winter hits they will not get shut off. I live in western, NY USA and the winter temps get to anywhere from -20 to 35 F .

Last edited:

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keeping them warm...

I keep my T's at room temperature (75F) with occasional misting, during the winter I use a ceramic heater set on low along with a warm mist humidifier and they do fine. Never used heat pads.