How do you breed crix for slings to eat??

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i want to breed my own crix since the pet store wants to charge me $30 US for 500 pinheads. i want to know everything there is to know about how to breed crix. can someone point me in the right direction?

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
armstrong82 said:
i want to breed my own crix since the pet store wants to charge me $30 US for 500 pinheads. i want to know everything there is to know about how to breed crix. can someone point me in the right direction?
$30 for 500 pinheads, that's ridiculous. I can order 1000 any size for $9.95 from www.grubco.com
Im sure it's pretty easy to breed them, although im not going to explain it cause im pretty busy right now. Ill allow someone else to explain. But that price is WAY too high, had to comment on that.

~Crystal

btorgy

Arachnopeon
Very simple! When you buy some adults, put in a small container with moist soil or Bed-a-Beast. Leave it there for a week or so, you will notice the females digging in and spending a lot of time there. Keep it moist, but not wet. Then take it out and put it in a separate container, keep moist. In a couple to three weeks you will notice tiny little crickets! I put a small piece of eggcrate leaning on the container of substrate to give them something to climb out on. Feed them fish flakes, Cheerio's, cricket food, etc. Give them a piece of carrot for moisture. Keep the container of substrate moist, and leave it in there for awhile. You'll have hundreds!
Good luck!

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Breeding crickets is quite possibly the easiest thing to do. Basically, put a small shallow dish (think petri dish) filled with moist sterile potting soil in whatever container you're housing your crickets. The females will begin laying eggs almost immediately. There. You're done. Crickets are prolific. Seriously. They put rabbits to shame. It's actually easier to breed crickets than to prevent them from breeding. You can either leave the dirt 'n eggs combo in with the adults, or move it to a smaller "pinhead proof" container.

Repeat as necessary.

Tim

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, looks like Beth beat me to it.

Disregard, if you will.

Tim

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
armstrong82 said:
Take a look at the usefull links thread in the T forum for many cricket dealers...Dont forget when pricing to figure in your shipping.
Where in WI are you? In Northern ILL we have a swap twice a month and you can stroll in and get crickets for $14/1000 right there. Smaller ones go fast as they dont order alot. Also we have the Nat'l show in Tinley Park ILL coming up in 8 days, and there will be a bunch of cicket vendors there. Sunday afternoons, I pick through the leftovers and can get 1000 for $5 sometimes.....:)
T

Tinley is Sat AND Sun