WHAT IS THIS?? is it what I think it is?

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I found this in my old terrarium set up that housed my G. rosea for 9 years..

it was attached to a piece of pine root on a blind side..

that is a 150mm petri dish it's in for scale..

in the other pic you can see the tanks new occupant and some of the pine root..

That's Aeryn ( G. rosea ) she's the one I rescued from a pet store with an eggsac.. ( they didn't make it ) the pet store worker roughed it up pretty bad getting them out...

Attachments

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Did I ask a wrong kind of question..

Or did I stump everyone????

I can give better pics to anyone who wants.. I didn't want to chew up server space..

If I committed a board faux pas please let me know :)

thanks

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, my eyes don't work as well as most but from my screen it looks like mold.

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what do you think it is ??

To me it looks like a strange fungus!
Does it look blue or is it just the picture?

Greetings
Bernhard

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It looks like a cocoon from some sort of large moth. Did you get the wood from outdoors?

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nicole said:
It looks like a cocoon from some sort of large moth. Did you get the wood from outdoors?
I agree, it looks like a cocoon of some kind, Too small to be and eggsac and it doesn't look like mold in my opinion

Nerri1029

Old Timer
OK.. more info..

It is hollow; made of an insect silk AND.. wasn't there when I put my T in 7 years ago..

I do not remember putting anything in there that might have spun a coccoon

but if it doesn't look like an eggsac.. than that's probably what it was.

I've never seen a T egg sac that has hatched au natural.. soooo

thanks.. I'll keep trying to find out..

maybe I'll cut it open for people to see the inner lining..

ML

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could be an old eggsack from a housespider that got into your rosea's enclosure!

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Spaceman_Spiff said:
Could be an old eggsack from a housespider that got into your rosea's enclosure!
It looks too stiff to be spider silk, spider silk is very soft and flexible. The object in question seems stiff like a butterfly or moth cocoon.

Spidergurl

Arachnopeon
Well, whatever came out of it certainly didn't last long before you didn't see it flying around inside.
Must have been munched pretty quick, lol!!

:D

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd almost bet my paycheck it's a silkmoth cocoon; there's not much else it really could be.

knottyduke

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with Malkavian, it looks like a moth coccoon.

And yep it would have gotten eaten quickly if your rosea is like ours, who loves moths.

pwilfort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did you have any silk worms in your house? It looks like a silk worm cocoon, when I had all our silkworms they got out and I had cacoons all over the place, just wondered?
Penney

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's looks like a toad stool. there are planty of types of fungus out there and that one is no exception it looks like a common shaggy ink cap mushroom in the early stages of growth.

Indicating that for your G rosea your tank is too moist. They like dry conditions

However I just saw your other post

humm puzzeling does like like someing was in there. If I wear you I'd clean the whole tank out.

Last edited:

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this has nothing to do with what that is but since you dont know I'd wash that quarter pretty good before i used it or put it back in my pocket.

EDIT: my gf is into butterflies and she says it is possible a catterpillar got into your enclosure and spun a web and there ya have it. "looks like a butterfly pupae to me"

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Mystery Solved .............. :)

Leave it to my 7 year old to have a memory like a trap..

Last year I fed a horned worm to my T It was about 3 inches long and as big around as my thumb..

I'm pretty sure it was a sphynx moth caterpillar.. related to the tobacco horned worm but w/out a horn..

Attachments

Horrido

Arachnopeon
The caterpillar and cacoon are from a silkworm moth, saturniidae (and I don't know of any hornless sphinx moths that spin a silken cacoon like that). It must have escaped, since I'm pretty sure you would have noticed the wings as remains. It seems small for most saturniids, though, but the caterpillar (assuming its the one you used as a feeder) does resemble a polyphemus.

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Horrido said:
The caterpillar and cacoon are from a silkworm moth, saturniidae (and I don't know of any hornless sphinx moths that spin a silken cacoon like that). It must have escaped, since I'm pretty sure you would have noticed the wings as remains. It seems small for most saturniids, though, but the caterpillar (assuming its the one you used as a feeder) does resemble a polyphemus.

Thanks !! Horrido