What is the best "Mexican" ?

Adriano

Arachnopeon
Hello Guys

What is the best Mexican for beginners ?

Mexican Redleg (Brachypelma Emelia)
Mexican Flame Knee (Brachypelma Auratum)
Mexican Pink (Brachpelma Klaasi)
Mexican Red Knee ( Brachypelma Smithi)

I will go to buy a G. Rosea in this weekend but I am thinking about
changing for a Mexican. I read in some place that the Rosea is
boring, that it seems like a rock (because this specie don't move much). My children almost do not see the G. Pulchra that I have, it hardlyto see he aout of your cave. I wanted one that I was more energetic, walk more but that he was very well docile too (to be handled). Which would be the best one of this list ?

Thanks

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They all look striking and have similar temperments. I have a juvie B. emilia and a few B. smithi and they are easily handleable. I don't know what kind of eaters they are yet though, since petco feeds them like crazy I'm going to wait a week and then try to feed them.

If you want something that runs around a lot you generally have to get something aggressive. But Avics are a good comprimise. You could find a pinktoe somewhere pretty easily, they are a lot more active than Brachies.

Adriano

Arachnopeon
Thanks for answer Washout

This Pinktoe you are talk about ?

She is really docile ?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Truthfully, they're all pet rocks. At night my Poecilotheria move about some, but for the most part all Ts just sit there. That is, after all, why they're successful.

You will find that any of the Brachypelma are easy to keep healthy so you might as well go for what you find appealing visually.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Adriano said:
Hello Guys

boring, that it seems like a rock (because this specie don't move much). My children almost do not see the G. Pulchra that I have, it hardlyto see he aout of your cave. I wanted one that I was more energetic, walk more but that he was very well docile too (to be handled). Which would be the best one of this list ?

Thanks
Any of the ones mentioned above would be great. Another one you might consider is Brachypelma boehmei (Mex. Fireleg), very beautiful!!
Remember most tarantulas won't move around alot. They are the ultimate couch potato. They sit and wait for an unfortunate bug to walk by. However, some are better display animals than others. Any of the Brachypelmas you listed would be good display animals because they won't web up the entire enclosure or totally burrow out of site for weeks on end.

Good Luck and Happy Tarantula Keeping ;)

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Adriano said:
Hello Guys

Thanks
That is a hard one to answer as each T is going to have its own personality, I don't have all that much experince with Brachies but from my personall experince emilia's seem to be very handable, I have a big female that has never made an attempt to flick hair and is sweet as can be and then two juvs. one that seems to be a non hair kicker but the other will kick hair pretty quick, Smithi's that I have dealt with seem to be very quick to kick hairs and in large amounts, I only have a juv smithi at around 3" but it is already quick to kick, other species may be hard to find and also more expensive but I have a klaasi juv also around 3" and it seems to be a hair kicker and then I have a ruhnaui at around 4-1/2" and it seems to be pretty docile and not much of a kicker but if you can find decent size of these two you are looking at well over a hundred if not two or three hundred. All in all: brachies are very docile and very easy to hold but most of them are quick to kick hairs but not very quick to rear up on you.
Like washout said, pinktoes are very docile and active and a great choice, but there down side (to some anyway) is there speed, they can be pretty quick but they are (IMO) the most docile T out there. Greg

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
IMO, any Brachy is a good Brachy :)
My adults never burrow, they just sit out in the open and look pretty!
Some flick hairs more than others if disturbed, but by and large, they are pretty docile. Speaking of pet rocks, my large B smithi female doesn't move for days on end sometimes...much less then any of my G rosea. Like others pointed out, most tarantulas are not that active. Unless you have a mature male, you won't see alot of walking around.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Adriano said:
Thanks for answer Washout

This Pinktoe you are talk about ?

She is really docile ?
Yep thats a pinktoe. And any type of avic is going to be docile. I think you can find them at petco for $15 or so sometimes.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Washout said:
And any type of avic is going to be docile.
Not true. Avicularia braunshauseni and A. laeta are just two of the Avics that are anything but docile.

When I first opened this thread I was going to answer "Salma Hayek", but now that I see your specific question ~ Although it is true that the behavior of the four species you listed is very similar, their price is not. B. klaasi is comparatively expensive and the other three are only similar in price as spiderlings. B. smithi is the most widely available of the four and therefore the least expensive, especially if you are looking for something larger than a spiderling.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Washout said:
Yep thats a pinktoe. And any type of avic is going to be docile. I think you can find them at petco for $15 or so sometimes.
Well, most are pretty docile....unless of course they are in my house! :( I've probably got the ONLY sub adult versi who will elect to give you a threat display and chase you off rather than let you hold her! :wall:
Everyone's right, each T is going to be different. My brachys LOVE to burrow and pretend they are holes...never to be seen again and my rosie is sooooooo active, we had to adapt her tank for semi arboreal because she loves to climb and will head to the lid of her tank to chase a cricket! :eek:

I also must agree with Holley that any brachy is a good brachy!!!!!:D

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Adriano said:
Hello Guys

Thanks
I'd go with the B. Smithi... They're beautiful, and are very even tempered when it comes to handling, but, don't agitate them, or they'll kick tons of hairs on you...

I know a guy who works at a Petland near my place, and he always lets me hold their B. Smithi... I've been haired a few times, and even with a few close calls, I've haven't been tagged by her, yet...

So, they all pretty much have the same temperment. So, beyond that, I think the only obstilcle with buying one is what kind of colors you want, and price. B. Smithis are usually a bit pricier, but well worth it in the long run, if cared for...

-Nick

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Brachys are beautiful species, buy their very slow to mature thats why they are expesnsive to aquire as an adult. ecxeption to this rule is B. vagans which grows fast. But a good rule to remeber is, the slower the specie to mature , the longer it lives.

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You also have to be careful of the person you buy it from, and if they know what they are talking about...

One other Petland employee said that they'd had their B. Smithi for 2 months, and when she came in, it was about half an inch, and now she's 4 inches... So, she obviously doesn't know what she is talking about... I suggest doing lots of research of your own, and not listening to Petstore-folk at all...

But, yes, B. Smithis are a good pick, indeed...

-Nick

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Adriano said:
....I will go to buy a G. Rosea in this weekend but I am thinking about
boring, that it seems like a rock (because this specie don't move much).....
From what I've seen of G. rosea , they are quite active compared to the brachys with the only exception being the B. klassi . The latter are real skittish though, and do not really appreciate being disturbed. These observations are only based on my personal collection though.

dyky71

Arachnopeon
Hi ,
I would suggest B. smithi. I had my female for 20 years .
She has died now but was a great T.
She was not overly active though as others have stated here.
She had her moments of activity but not a big mover.
She was very long lived with no problems ever.
They are worth the money.

cocopuff

Arachnopeon
I personnaly thinks the b.smithi are incredible.

My B.smithi never haired me once. She is the only one I handle (rarely) and she is a sweetheart. I dont think she can be nervous or stressed.

She just sits on the "cool spot of the week" well.. all week. Then she change, go to the next cool spot to be.

She moves in the night a lot. But in the morning she goes back on her spot, like she never moved. I think she is trying to fool me!

Hope you enjoy your new B. whatever you choose to have :)