Lasidora cristata...N.cromatus

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just picked up this awsome little beast !! it is around 2 1/2 inches....I have 3 more on order that I will be getting this month....check it out !! sorry the pic is kinda dark...

Regards, Mike ;P

Last edited:

Greaper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
God I love those! Still dont have one yet though, wonder why? :?

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Mike H,
L.Cristata is not in the pet trade so yours is more likely than not N.Cromatus :)

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aviculariinae said:
Hi Mike H,
L.Cristata is not in the pet trade so yours is more likely than not N.Cromatus :)

From from what I gather over hear in Canada they are sold as they same thing...I am by no means an expert, not trying to be a smart ass either just that they are sold as L.cristata and then I thought the name was changed or reclassified to N.chromatus....none the less an awsome spider for any collection..

Regards, Mike :worship:

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's right,
Lasiodora cristata changed to Nhandu chromatus, Schmidt 2004
I have a few slings of this specie.. good eaters..

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,
Wh1teshark said:
That's right,
Nope, both are still valid species check the world spider catalog and it is believed Cristata is not in the pet trade. :)

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
These are great tarantulas for anyone more experienced with the more defensive ones. I just loved mine. She is very quick to react with a threat pose, ready to strike when you open her tank. Good eater as well. I think they have awesome colors with the stripes on their legs, grey carapace, and red hairs on their abdomens. As defensive as she is, I have had her crawl out of her large kritter keeper onto my hand and she doesn't try to threaten me then. With this one, she proves Miz M's theory that they are mostly defensive/aggressive in their homes, but not when you get them out of the tanks. I bought this one as a semi-adult from another board member who avertised in the Aracnoboard for sale section and have been thrilled with her ever since. I would recomend getting one as a sling and watching it grow. The sling I had died so I got another one this way. I do have to be very carefull with ours (we named her Ursala after the mean lady in 1001 Dalmations) when I clean out her waterdish and cricket remains because she tries to bite me, so if you are afraid of a T that will bite, these are ones to reconsider. I think all of them are this way. Mine is out in the open all the time now that she has gotten bigger.

Sharon

mick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice pics dude!

Mine finally started to look like that on it's last molt. :D I got it at 1/8 on an inch...I've had to very very patient, but well worth the wait I must add.

Mike

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Wh1teshark said:
That's right,

That is incorrect. Lasiodora cristata was not "changed" to Nhandu chromatus. L. cristata is still a valid species, but it is not in the pet trade. What we have long been erroneously referring to as "L. cristata" has now been classified as N. chromatus. MJ

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
nice T's arent they...i love my little one and man he can eat like a horse...great looking T you got there...

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So what I have there is a N.chromatus ?? thats cool....just out of curiosity what does L.cristata look like ??

Regards, Mike :?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
well i was just on rick wests website and im not sure there is a big difference i mean from what i can see they are the same a lot of people might get mad by me saying this but they look exaclty the same even he has a pic that says N chromatus formerly known as L cristata...i think its a mistake and just has 2 names or should i say used to have 2 names

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,
As far as i know L.Cristata has not being seen for a very long time, and i think there is still some confusion over N.cromatus as it has characteristics of Nhandu,Acanthoscurria and Lasiodora. So it will be a while before it is settled id say. :)

Also some stuff on rick west site is not entirely accurate and some pictures are enhanced.

maxxxieee

Arachnopeon
Nhandu chromatus.... Lasiodora...??

I have a huge 7" and still growing female N. chromatus that is so much like my L. Difficilis personality wise and growth rate. They both have quite a playful side on some days and then.. those hairs... as I'm itching my hands while typing this.

I read somewhere that there was a name change, but not sure how much of that was fact, and when I saw Lasiodora it did seem to make sense and noticed how similar they both seemed to be. I saw pictures of the L. cristata and compared it to a N. chromatus and they really looked identical. I could see no difference. Not sure if this helps or not...