Cleaning my tarantula???

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello. I have a question... Is there a way to clean the white web residue off of my tarantula's spinnerets? Should I clean it off? Is it safe to keep it there? Are there any health hazards associated with this? I am a tarantula noob... Actually... I found mine in California, where I live. I haven't been able to identify what kind it is, but I did find out it is a boy. I named him Tosigo, which means venom in spanish. Anyways... I would like to keep very clean and healthy, so I would appreciate a response soon. Thank you!!!

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I woudn't try cleaning it off. Probably just some waste product (poop). If it is a male don't expect it to live long. Sorry.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it's a male (an adult male) and you found it wild, your best bet would be to take it back to where you found it and let it go so it can mate before it dies. Males do not live very long and no, don't mess with it's spinnerettes. Tarantulas are very clean animals and will groom themselves. :D

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Always leave grooming to the tarantulas....at least in my opinion.

One, causes enough stress for the both of you (for the tarantula more than yourself). Two, there is too much of chance that something could go wrong, tarantulas are fragile. Tarantulas are very good at taking care of themselves. Have fun !

Laura

8SEXYLEGS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep. I agree with all the above posts, T's will clean themselves (have you ever seen your's cleaning it's fangs after it munched down on a cricket?)

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well my avic loves to clean its feet from time to time...its really cute!!! {D