Don't try this at home.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
First, the disclaimer: Handling scorpions is something I wouldn't recommend. If you insist, be sure you know what species it REALLY is (not just what it was labled as at the store), how venomous that species is and what you are doing. Also, be sure there is someone else present in the event that you are stung and have an allergic reaction. Try to get a feel for how your scorpion reacts and have a catch cup and other tools at your disposal in case it makes a dart for it.

The following are some pics of me and one of my O.rugiceps.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Don't do this unless you.

a) know what you're doing ... like me.
b) are an idiot .. like me.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
And lastly, one more mocking of Jacen's famous eye avatars.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Dave,

Debby says you look just like Jean Luc's clone in Nemesis. I have to agree a bit....

Great pics BTW :)

Scott

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Dave, you could be a model, although with that pic...no telling what magazine!
I do not know why you think you are ugly, so many guys could not get away with a shaved head, and on you..it's perfect!!

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Love the photos! You're much braver than I, the only scorpion I'm willing to pick up is an emperor and even that sparks some inner debate.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Holley,

You make me blush. Not a pretty sight. ;)

Paige,

Well, the O.rugiceps is less dangerous and more docile than even the average emperor scorpion. To date, they are the only scorpions I have handled. They are also the only scorpions I would handle, as the rest are either more dangerous or agressive.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Interesting one-eye photo w/scorp. :D

John
];'D

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Awesome photos, Dave, as well as an awesome species of scorp!

Alex S.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
The following are some pics of me and one of my O.rugiceps
Never heard of O. Rugiceps. How big does it get, where are they from and what conditions do they need in captivity?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Opisthacanthus rugiceps is a medium sized bark scorpion from Tanzania and thereabouts. The one on my head is about as big as they get. They are from the family Ishnuridae and follow in the family tradition by being relatively docile and not particularily venomous.

Conditions in captivity should be fairly hot and fairly humid. They like to cling on the side of things, so vertical space is more important than ground space. I keep mine in tall, thin tupperware containers with pieces of bark resting against the side. I provide a water dish, regular mistings and occasional floodings. They spend all of their time on the bark and while I have never actualy seen one catch a prey item, they do go through the crickets.

Cheers,
Dave

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I would like to get a emperor scorp. Of course, as with any new pet, I want to do research before making the plunge. How long does this particular scorp live ? I think they are magnificent to look at !