PDA

View Full Version : Bearded Dragons can you just feed baby food to provide veggies?

Washout
01-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Could I get away with feeding a dragon on mealworms, crickets, and baby food? Or are fresh leafy vegatables a requirement? I'm aware that many people compose a salad on a bi-weekly basis but could I just feed strained spinich and other fruits offered as baby food at the supermarket?

MilkmanWes
01-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Could I get away with feeding a dragon on mealworms, crickets, and baby food? Or are fresh leafy vegatables a requirement? I'm aware that many people compose a salad on a bi-weekly basis but could I just feed strained spinich and other fruits offered as baby food at the supermarket?

We tried feeding ours baby food once, mashed mangos we were putting out for other animals and I decided to see if they liked it. They ate it right up. It got on the tip of ones nose and dried there with sand stuck to it like glue. Couldnt get it off even with a bath. Stayed there for a couple weeks until she shed. My girlfriend was rather unhappy about the sandy lump on it's snout so I haven't given them anymore.

Michael Jacobi
01-07-2005, 07:49 PM

First, don't use baby food. Many bearded dragons will accept a limited amount of fruit, but they are arid climate lizards: they eat grasses, flowers, and leaves. Second, yes you need to offer fresh DARK greens including: turnip greens, collard greens, kale, mustard greens plus dandelion flowers and greens, other safe flowers. These provide not only nutrition, but also water. My adults never get fresh water alone. Third, do not feed spinach. It will actually negatively affect calcium absorbtion. Beardies are primarily herbivorous both as juveniles and adults. However, juveniles should be offered crickets no larger than the half the length of their heads [large crickets are thought to contribute to hind leg paralysis]. As they grow I also give baby superworms [not mealworms or king mealworms with their chitinous exoskeletons]. I recommend dusting with Miner-All I and Sandfire/T-Rex Bearded Dragon ICB for minerals, vitamins, and other important dietary supplements. My adults get full-grown superworms and roaches as occasional treats, but mostly get a salad of the dark greens mentioned above with grated carrot, squash, dandelion flowers, hibiscus flowers, mixed veggies [corn, peas, beans], strawberries, apple... every other day And, equally important - daily exposure to high UVA [30%+] and UVB [5%+] reptile lighting that is within 12" of the basking lizards. Bulbs must be replaced annually regardless of their working condition [I use dual fixtures with one Exo-Terra 2.0 and one Exo-Terra 8.0 UVB 4' fluorescent tube and neodymium coated basking lamps. Of course, natural unfiltered by glass sunlight should be provided as possible - as in outdoor pens with protection from overheating, pests, predators.

Finally, animal care isn't about "getting away" with anything. It's about doing it the best way possible based on the newest information possible - or not doing it all.

Hope this helps

Michael

Washout
01-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Sounds like bearded dragons require more maintaince than I do. :) This is exactly what I was wondering about. From what I read I was under the impression that they were primarily insectvores and the salad was a dietary supplement. Good to know that it's really the reverse. I think I'll stick with the strictly insectovore lizards.

Iktomi
01-08-2005, 04:41 PM
It's the reverse more so when they are adults. Babies need more protein than adults.

ingas866
01-13-2005, 05:45 PM
you need to go to kingsnak.com and ask. some of the things said here do on sound right i was all ways told that they were inst. eaters more than vegie. :?

andy83
01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
My adult beardie got a hopper mouse for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It munched the hopper down with no problem(pre-killed of course).
http://portfolio.iu.edu/adenning/Bob.jpg

Iktomi
01-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Now THAT is one beautiful fire! Love that orange!