PDA

View Full Version : Untrue Tarantula Myths You've Heard?

HaloMiles
01-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Even before purchasing my G. Rosea, I heard some very peculiar (and very laughable) myths told to me by people who have no clue about tarantulas. The day I went to purchase my G. Rosea, someone had told me that they were the meanest spider known to man. I'd never laughed so hard in my life. Has anyone heard any very untrue myths about tarantulas in particular?

cdxrd
01-14-2005, 07:53 PM
As I stated in another thread, the nice lady at the UPS facility here in town had a friend die from a rose hair bite last year.. :)

Musta been that really evil, venomous species of G Rosea.. And also at Zamzows a couple years ago, I was informed that the H Lividums were an arboreal species and liked it really really wet conditions..

ta2edpop
01-14-2005, 07:56 PM
I was one told by a man at a pet store that when a T bites you they don't stop untill they peirce bone. Ouch that must really hurt.

Sequin
01-14-2005, 07:57 PM
hmmm, my favorite is

"your so dumb, why wouldnt you take the venom out of them, you know they can kill you?"
ive heard that at least 8 times at my school :rolleyes:

Oh and then this one petstore in town charges an extra 40 dollars to have them "devenomized"

becca81
01-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks to Hollywood, our society is full of myths regarding tarantulas and true spiders.

Most of the myths that I hear relate to the venom.

becca81
01-14-2005, 07:58 PM
This is a great link about myths:

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/index.html

ta2edpop
01-14-2005, 08:00 PM
I'd like to take advantage of that "devenomizing". I would hate to know that I have animals in my house that can kill me.

galeogirl
01-14-2005, 08:26 PM
My favorite has to be the time a guy at an exotics show told me that a tarantula "jumped like five feet off the ground trying to bite me."

Sandra
01-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Oh and then this one petstore in town charges an extra 40 dollars to have them "devenomized"

Oh REALLY!!! :rolleyes:

cdxrd
01-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Sandra, I almost have to believe they do charge.. 2 weeks ago my now ex-roomie brought a girlfriend of hers over, and I was showing her the spiders. And she kept wanting me to get my Lividum out and hold her so she could see. When I explained that I didnt want to be bit, she informed me that all pet stores are required by law (the pet stores told her this) to have their tarantulas devenomized, and there is no harm in holding them since thats done.. Needless to say she is now educated properly.. lol

Sandra
01-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Omg, ROTFL :D

becca81
01-14-2005, 09:27 PM
I was in one petstore with a girl who said that she fed her G. rosea water bites and it caused it to turn bright pink. Yeah, right.

She also said that she dropped the T quite a bit and it always just "shook its head, acted dazed, and was fine." Shook its head? And what neck did it use?

cdxrd
01-14-2005, 09:32 PM
ROFL! I am just picturing that little pink rose hair, shaking its head back and forth trying to get focused again.. thats good.. :)

Joeyo
01-14-2005, 09:36 PM
i was told a long time ago that tarantulas sold in pet stores always had their venom glands removed. and, as a matter of fact, i believe it was a locally owned and operated pet store that told me that.

Bpkid
01-14-2005, 09:55 PM
My favorite is.......

"Tarantulas are man eating things."

ScorpionBob
01-14-2005, 09:57 PM
This is my favorite. Almost everyone that I have told about owning a T says the same thing, "Really nasty aren't they, how many times have u been bitten?" Even the people at the big pet store chains where I get crickets say this crap. I had scorpions, they can be pretty ornery.

MountinGal
01-14-2005, 10:24 PM
I have two good ones.

One of my fellow teachers told me that a parent was chased up the sidewalk by a tarantula trying to bite her...it would have been an A. hentzi as they are native here. Because we all know that a tarantula could have chased this person all the way up the sidewalk.

Secondly, one of my preschoolers informed me today that "only baby tarantulas are poisonous."

Once I actually get my T's I plan to do a lot of myth-breaking in my classroom!

Apocalypstick
01-14-2005, 10:27 PM
I was looking at water bowls a few years ago and found one in a small pet shop. When the owner ( family owned shop) asked me what it was for, I told him a water dish for my 6"+ Brazilan Black Tarantula. He had a couple of adult Rosies for sale in the shop (so he's an authority...yup).

He asked if I needed a new sponge for the water dish too because he said, 'It was important to change it at least once a year'. I told him I never use sponges. Well you woulda thought I was the biggest idiot living :drool:
He imformed me that anyone that did not know sponges are the ONLY way Ts can drink shouldn't own one...it will surely die. He said anyone that says Ts don't need sponges are "cRaZy". I tried to explain sponges harbour bac, molds, and even cricket eggs. He said these were REAL sponges, not the grocery store kind. Stupid me :? I said no thanks anyway. 'OK' he replied, 'But when the one you have dies' come back in and I'll sell you another T and teach you how to take care of them.

Looking back at him as I walked out I said, ' OK, but it must take a
looonnngggg time for a T to dehydrate because I had had my girl T for seven years...since it was a baby. But I'd sure come back in 10 to 15 years later, when she passes on, so he could teach me how to do it right next time.

I swear I couldn't help laughing all the way home because of his ridiculous arrogant face as it reddened quite quickly.
:mad: <------him
:rolleyes: <------me

Bpkid
01-14-2005, 10:38 PM
ROFLMAO!!! {D

David Burns
01-15-2005, 01:10 AM
How about the myth that the males from an eggsac mature before the females from the same sac.

Or the one that says that immature Haplopelma lividum males are brown.

I've even heard it said that the males don't have an epigastric furrow.

But really, none of us believe these anymore do we?

Immortal_sin
01-15-2005, 01:24 AM
The most common questions I'm asked are:
1 ~ Isn't tarantula venom deadly?
2 ~ You know, they can jump like...5 feet straight UP don't you?!
3 ~ How many times have you been bitten?
4 ~ They chase you down, aren't you scared of them?
5 ~ Have yours been 'devenomized'?

Ruri_Hari
01-15-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm glad this thread was posted! I have a strange one!

I went to the store to buy crickets and when the check out girl asked me what I was feeding, I said tarantulas and she stopped and stared at me. She asked if I held them and I said not really, but the calmer one's I do sometimes. She said "Don't let them crawl on your face, they smell the salt and bite you. This one guy here at the store was bit in his eye and went blind."

I just looked at her dumbfounded and tried not to laugh. I got in my car and laughed so hard my side almost split. If I knew telling people you owned T's would get you such off the wall stories I would have gotten one long ago.

BlkCat
01-15-2005, 03:16 AM
It truely amazes me how ppl believe evrything they hear. :wall:

Greg Wolfe
01-15-2005, 06:09 PM
I could write a book on all the myths and mayhem that float around out there, LOL.
This is true though, Hollywood has done a disservice to tarantulas with their movies portraying giant rose hairs attacking towns and eating people.
My top favorite myths I like to dispel are:
1) They can chew through concrete
2) They can jump six feet
3) The bigger the more venomous
4) They can smell your fear
and the 2 foot across T that got away... ;P

Arachnobrian
01-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Unbelievable, Now there's a way to fraudlently increase the price of a "T".
I guess none of these stores carry any books on "T's", or they do, but can't read.

I have been asked several times, "Are they venomous?, did you have the fangs removed?".

And after a brief "T" lesson, they start to understand the myths surrounding "T's", and the previous spider phobia becomes curiosity.

Crunchie
01-15-2005, 06:41 PM
I had a good one not too long ago, I run a football forum and had posted about my tarantulas in the "off topic" section and had this conversation with someone who I'd previously banned...

me: here's my new tarantula he's called "Duffy" after Daryl Duffy heh
them: weirdo
me: ;P
them: why can't you get something normal! Get a dog you weirdo!
me: my dad is allergic to anything with fur or feathers!
them: allergic to fur! What do you think that is on the spiders back?!
me: the dust off a dog or cat causes the allery you half-wit :rolleyes:
them: actually tarantulas give off just as bad dust from their bodies!
me: Funny that... because the dust off a dog or a cat is dead skin. Tarantulas have exoskeletons... once again you half-wit! :rolleyes:

metzgerzoo
01-15-2005, 06:51 PM
If I had a dime for all the dumb things I've been asked I'd be rich, let's see:

Why don't you defang them? :wall:
Do you let them run around the house while the kids are up? {D
Do they like being petted? :?
What do they smell like? :rolleyes:
And my all time favorite, what we were told by the pet store worker when we got our rosie, "she's viscious"! :clap:

Crunchie
01-15-2005, 06:56 PM
aww wickle vicious rosies are so cute {D

Dragoon
01-15-2005, 07:13 PM
With me, its the odd notion that tarantulas run loose in my apartment.
I always say Yes, I have tarantulas, 55 of them in fact.
And the FIRST reaction is always
'Just running around?'
'Aren't you afraid you'll step on one?'
'Won't you lose one?'
'Aren't you afraid one'll bite you!?'

Cages, people, cages! Why on earth does everyone think pet spiders run free? Has anyone else been asked this?
hahaha, and yeah, I get the regular questions, too.
'Won't they bite you?' is the second most popular.
D.

LPacker79
01-16-2005, 12:47 AM
'Just running around?'
'Won't you lose one?'

Cages, people, cages! Why on earth does everyone think pet spiders run free? Has anyone else been asked this?
D.

Haha! I get that a lot too! The next question is always "Are they all in the same cage?" Oh yeah, I have 110 tarantulas and I keep them in a big cage all together!
And apparently only men and really scary women are allowed to have T's. If I hear "But you're such a nice girl" from anyone else I might scream!

Sequin
01-16-2005, 01:20 AM
'Just running around?'
'Won't you lose one?'

D.

haha i get that every time someone finds out i own some...
a couple days ago i heard "so do you keep the lizards and tarantulas all together?"
"ya a big pow wow, i just leave the scorpion in charge of things"
"really?"
"no"
hahaha... and everyone also always asks.. who would win between *blank* and *blanK* and they'll go through the whole list of animals i own...
~Meagan~

Cirith Ungol
01-16-2005, 03:37 AM
Hm... I've never seen this in Sweden.. yet. But one thought springs to mind:
Let them devenomize - bring spider home - provoke a bite - quickly take a sample of the fluids with a syringe - take pictures - go to doctor, describe symptoms - sue pet shop - get lots of money - BUY MORE TS! ;P

jeffh_x
01-16-2005, 04:55 AM
watched an old movie showing this girl in a space-like suit supposedly to protect her from a bunch of rosies all around her from getting bitten, and another guy threatening to kill himself by letting a smith run on his chest..the T then...(computer generated) bit him and immedieately he fell on the floor dead...after the girl was bein rescued, they told her to go to the ambulance to get an antivenom..god...

becca81
01-16-2005, 08:39 AM
And apparently only men and really scary women are allowed to have T's. If I hear "But you're such a nice girl" from anyone else I might scream!

Yeah, I've gotten this one before. I also had someone ask me, "What kind of tattoos do you have?"

I told them that I didn't have any and they said, "I thought that all people who own Ts would have tattoos of them and other weird things on their body."

Yeah, whatever.

I just usually say, "I'm a science teacher." People seem to think that allows me to be a little "different" and so it's no big deal.

shogun804
01-16-2005, 12:14 PM
last week when i was buying crix the woman asked me what i was feeding.....i told her: she replies "yeah i owned a the black vulture eating Tarantula"...i just started to laugh and asked her how big it was she replies "well it was about 7 inches but the fangs were as big as its body" " I had to replace her tank so many times becasue the T bit through the glass" :rolleyes: ....thats when i turn and say have a nice day laughing all the way to my car.

PapaRoacher
01-16-2005, 12:30 PM
One really ditzy girl in my class said something truely rediculous...

I had brought a molt to class, and everyone was, like, "Wow! Cool!", y'know?

But, then this one girl's like, "Tarantulas shed their skin? Like Snakes?", and responded with a simple "Yes"... (this next part is gold) Then, she says "Ohhhhhh, yeah, I remember, I watched something on Tarantulas on TV once, yeah, they turn into beetles after they shed their skin"...

This statement was so rediculous, I didn't even respond, I felt trying to educate her would of been futile, and pointless, so, I just turned my head and acknowledged the other people whom were interested...

I'll never look at her the same way again, how dumb :rolleyes:

shogun804
01-16-2005, 12:34 PM
ROFLMAO...thats a good one..

Ruri_Hari
01-16-2005, 08:32 PM
You know what would be great? If we put all these people in a room with a few tarantulas and mic'd it. I would love to hear the coversations.

Jeff: what movie was this? I'd like to see it..lol

A tarantula turning into a beetle....oh boy. Could you imagine if an OBT turned into a beetle? The world would be done for.... :wicked:

Sting Crazy
01-17-2005, 01:50 PM
I heard that if you get them wet they multiply, and you must never, ever feed them after midnight. :}

NYbirdEater
01-17-2005, 02:05 PM
haven't heard many since people around here are completely clueless including the pet store people. Most call them POISONOUS though, everyone who comes in my house asks if my Tarantulas can GET OUT, and they usually look over their shoulders alot as if one will smash through the glass of the tank and attack them. Besides calling me crazy.

Well this guy at a petstore who seems to think he's the god of pet owners tried convincing me Avicualaria were desert tarantulas because I was bitching he had it on sand in bright light with no water inside an iguana tank in a critter keeper. Besides the fact he had Avic avic labeled as ROSEHAIR. Same guy also showed up one day with T blondi bite marks in his arm, bites from a snake, and other bruises he couldn't recall were from which pet. He's like the Goerge of the Jungle of petstores around here.

this aint really a myth, but a book I got for my son that "starring" a tarantula had some pretty rediculous facts, and it was sponsored by national geographic no less. Not only did it say they were POISONOUS, it had the tarantula kicking hair forward amongst some other abominations I can't even remember. I'll start a thread about faulty T info when I find the book.

Cirith Ungol
01-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Funny about that book you are mentioning 'NY'!

"The great spider book" by the biggest Swedish printer had something pretty nice about Ts too actually. If I recall correctly (and I learned all this valuable info by heart so I would be a better T keeper... NOT) it said things like that a T blondi was the biggest spider in the world with a legspan of about 7cm (whatever that might be in iches? I don't know, maybe 3-4?), that it lives in the trees where it creates giant webs to catch birds..... or was that in another book about spiders... well who cares it was in a book and books always tell the truth!!

NYbirdEater
01-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Funny about that book you are mentioning 'NY'!

"The great spider book" by the biggest Swedish printer had something pretty nice about Ts too actually. If I recall correctly (and I learned all this valuable info by heart so I would be a better T keeper... NOT) it said things like that a T blondi was the biggest spider in the world with a legspan of about 7cm (whatever that might be in iches? I don't know, maybe 3-4?), that it lives in the trees where it creates giant webs to catch birds..... or was that in another book about spiders... well who cares it was in a book and books always tell the truth!!

I saw some ink sketches of that in an old encyclopedia I think. The book I mnetioned was a kids book, and illustrated, just the fact it was sponsored by NG made me extra pissed. Although I did stop reading NG because it lacked substance, or maybe I just grew up.

Magician
01-17-2005, 04:41 PM
- " T's fangs can not perice human skin"
(from irc)

-It's against the law to own pet trantualas that aren't devenomized and is a federal offense.
-Roommate's visting friend and his girlfriend

- "the T jumped a foot up into the air"

_ "There are only four speices of trantualas that can kill a human"

"If you dont handle a trantuala it will get mean and bite you,any animal gets used to being handled"
^ typical

I've also heard the 'did you dye that spider,why isnt it brown or black" thing...

However,one rumor about spiders was proven true:
Some T's do have thier eggsacs inside cacti/succlents; where they make thier webinside or burrow in i guess? And when you buy these the T's can come out (Possibly the mom to,i guess) (And yes,one cactus did explode from spiders,but i doubt that was from T's).

Some urban legends are true. :)

becca81
01-17-2005, 06:09 PM
I've had a pet shop employee tell me before that tarantulas NEEDED to be handled. She said that they wouldn't live as long if you didn't, because they needed companionship.

This was the same moron who told me about her T shaking its neck...

Bean
01-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Some T's do have thier eggsacs inside cacti/succlents; where they make thier webinside or burrow in i guess? And when you buy these the T's can come out (Possibly the mom to,i guess) (And yes,one cactus did explode from spiders,but i doubt that was from T's).

Some urban legends are true.

Errrr, you forgot the proof? I'm especially interested in the highlighted claim?

pitbulllady
01-17-2005, 08:20 PM

Some urban legends are true. :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, dude, but that is 110% FALSE! It wouldnt' be an "Urban Legend" if were TRUE, now would it? A "true Urban Legend" is about as big an oxymoron as an "Honest Politician"! There has NEVER, EVER, ever, ever EVER been a case of where a cactus(or any other plant)exploded from ANY sort of spiders living inside it! You might have read that on Ananova.com, or TheOnion.com, both sites notorious for printing ANYTHING strange or bizarre, either as a joke, or simply because they can't be bothered to check facts first. You can get the REAL scoop at these sites: htt://www.hoax-slayer.com/cactus-spider.html or at http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/cactus.html

I couldnt' get my computer to open up the Snopes.com site, which is probably the best hoax and Urban Legend debunking site out there, so maybe it's down for maintainance or something, but maybe some of you can get there.

Still, wouldn't it be nice to buy a cheap cactus, only to have a few thousand B. smithis-all female-pop out? Only problem is the waste of a perfectly good cactus, since I collect cacti, too.

pitbulllady

Immortal_sin
01-17-2005, 09:17 PM
yes, a person I know told me the exploding cactus story, claimed it happened to someone her mom knew LOL
I sent her the snopes link, boy was she embarrassed!

Magician
01-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Ha Ha,
{D

If that's untrue someone should send a letter to the History channel (which reported that this was true). In fact they even said some people tryed to debunk it but it still was..And let,i still doubt if this did happen, the cactus would literarly explode, maybe break apart?

Just goes to show how the rumors about our pets can be spread,even by mass media. And even the keepers can fall for them :rolleyes:

H-D
01-18-2005, 10:21 AM
I was informed by someone that their local reptile/invert shop 'removed' their G.rosea's urticating hairs for a fee, as in plucking them out one by one....

WingedDefeat
01-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Every time I educate a person after they mention some untruth about tarantulas, they always looks so... dissapointed. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. :confused:

Apocalypstick
01-18-2005, 06:45 PM
{D {D {D {D
This thread is priceless ! I have a stomach ache from some of these posts :D

Oh and by the way.... my T has also been reading with me.... yes folks, they can read too if they open the "one hundred" eyes they apparently have as a friend once told me :p

Randy
01-19-2005, 12:56 AM
mine goes like that, i went to the petstore and i saw a brown Tarantula
(think its a p.Lugardi)
i didnt know what is was at first cos it was webbed up..
so i asked the petstore keeper,
"hey what species is this ? "
he said "oh its poisonous"
i was like wtf... so i repeated my question, " what species is this "
he was like "hmm .. " this is " Chocolate spider " !!
so i was like.. ok fine, just tell me how much is this T ..

another 1 was, rather stupid and not logic at all.. a girl in my school said a tarantula CAN jump across half a footyball field WOW~ :D

SpaceHawk
01-19-2005, 01:00 AM
My friend told me that Goliath bird-eaters can pierce a leather hiking boot. Rattlesnakes can't even do that. Is this true? He sounded pretty convincing.

avicularia_reig
01-19-2005, 01:41 AM
went to a petstore one day with my boyfriend, and they had a nice collection of rosehairs and some others. they were each in kritter keepers inside a display case. they evidently had a misting system in there so when we pulled out the kritter keepers they were dripping warm water. when i informed the pet store owner of their faults, the simply responde with "well all tarantulas are from the rainforest" if i remember right my rosehair and king baboon HATE water. i guess im wrong because evidently a bite from my rosehair would be worse than my king baboon...thats just what i hear {D :wall:

Fenris
01-19-2005, 09:53 AM
My friend told me that Goliath bird-eaters can pierce a leather hiking boot. Rattlesnakes can't even do that. Is this true? He sounded pretty convincing.

I've heard this as well. In the Tarantula Keepers Guide the authors mention "mechanical damage" from a bite. Who wants to test this myth?

nightbreed
01-19-2005, 10:19 AM

I saw a documentary about Sydney funnel webs that said they could bite through boots if thats true I would guess a Blondi might be able to, it would probably depend on the boots in question though, saying that though I also watched a documentary that said the Blondi was the most poisonous spider in the world {D

galeogirl
01-19-2005, 11:43 AM
A co-worker informed me recently that tarantulas give live birth and that the babies burst out of the mother's abdomen a la Aliens.

You mean, all these years my tarantulas have been giving birth incorrectly? :wicked:

Fenris
01-19-2005, 01:46 PM
This thread just furthers my theory that most people are stupid and uninformed.

MountinGal
01-19-2005, 10:22 PM
"Don't forget...never scream if you see a tarantula.They are attracted by screams and will just come closer and bite you.

HUH???

Joe1968
01-20-2005, 02:30 PM
What about T. blondi "goliath bird eater", hence, the name that they eat birds in the wild, I read some books that says this is a misconception, that they rare or ever been seen actually catching birds in the wild, is this true?

Greg Wolfe
01-21-2005, 01:08 PM
What about T. blondi "goliath bird eater", hence, the name that they eat birds in the wild, I read some books that says this is a misconception, that they rare or ever been seen actually catching birds in the wild, is this true?
The term "birdeater" comes from European naturalists who upon visiting South America for the first time found a pinktoe on a branch consuming a bird.
A few drawings and wood carvings were made of this incident and the story took Europe by storm. Like wildfire, the myth swept through Europe during the 18th century that these monster spiders fed on birds. Quite the contrary.
T. Blondi's cannot leap from the ground and catch birds, but some avicularia and/or aboreals will feed on chicks and the like when they commence their nightly excursions. It happens by chance that they stumble on a nest.
Much about this myth is in the TTKG introduction.
Fascinating stuff... :D

LPacker79
01-21-2005, 02:12 PM
This thread actually reminded me of something. Over a year ago, one of our members was collecting myths and was going to put them in book form. I don't remember which particular member it was, but she was quite active on the boards. Does anyone remember this person or remember who it was? Did anything ever come of it?

Sting Crazy
03-09-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm sure a large T. blondi WOULD eat a small bird if given the opportunity.

CedrikG
03-09-2005, 01:45 PM
hahhaha this tread IS ILLARIOUS!!!!!

just yesturday, in my french class, I've heard these question:

- if you get bite, will you get paralyse till the rest of your life ?

- will you die ?

- do they bite, sting or what ? why you dont defang 'em

AND THE BEST ONE, I've keep it for the end...

a pet shop sold a rosie to someone in the class, and the pet shop said : when she will do web, destroy it, or she will be able to auto-sex her and wil get baby's

I was like Omg......

VERY nice tread hahahahahah

Blasphemy
03-09-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm sure a large T. blondi WOULD eat a small bird if given the opportunity.

I was actually going to try that. I was going to attempt to feed a finch or some small bird species to my adult female goliath, but never ended up trying that. I did however feed her an adult mouse, which she easily took down...and she made a horrible mess of it :eek:

WhyTeDraGon
03-09-2005, 02:36 PM
'Just running around?'
'Won't you lose one?'

D.

ever see Home Alone? :D

Washout
03-09-2005, 05:49 PM
What about T. blondi "goliath bird eater", hence, the name that they eat birds in the wild, I read some books that says this is a misconception, that they rare or ever been seen actually catching birds in the wild, is this true?I will prove everyone wrong when my goliath gets big enough and I feed it chicks and ducklings.

Kid Dragon
03-09-2005, 06:48 PM
How about this myth, "When a T is getting ready to molt you need to increase humidity".

Or, "Ts like drinking water out of a sponge".

Or, "You can tame a T by handling it often".

cryptly
03-09-2005, 06:49 PM
I heard a great one from a clerk in the Farm and Family Center when I was buying crickets.

Supposedly her nephew's "teddy bear tarantula" somehow managed to lift the lid on its tank, with the rock that was on it, crawl out of her nephew's bedroom, across the house and into the garage, where it made a huge web, bit the boys father and put him in the hospital for over a month with "swelling, extremely painful muscle cramps and pain" (her words, really!). I nearly broke a rib trying not to laugh at this story. :rolleyes:

And another one I heard "All tarantulas are extremely toxic to the touch"

Apocalypstick
03-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I love this thread... it makes me laugh so hard my stomach hurts!

I think we need to add the one posted by a new person yesterday.

* it's a "Pink Toe".... obvious rosie :rolleyes:
* they drink from the substrate... ooh gawd help the poor creatures in pet shops :(

Snipes
03-09-2005, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=Kid Dragon]How about this myth, "When a T is getting ready to molt you need to increase humidity".QUOTE]
I thought that was true, and if the humidity was too low they might get stuck in the middle of a molt

Windchaser
03-09-2005, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Kid Dragon]How about this myth, "When a T is getting ready to molt you need to increase humidity".QUOTE]
I thought that was true, and if the humidity was too low they might get stuck in the middle of a molt

It is more important that the tarantula be well hydrated prior to the molt than the ambient humidity. As long as the T is well hydrated, they are quite able to molt in very dry conditions.

Snipes
03-09-2005, 09:32 PM
ah, so the humidity counts for nothing? Its just the hydration? Well, i still woulnt call it a "myth" like they can jump 5 feet straight up or can spit venom. Those would be within the diamond, and the humidity would be way out in left field.

WhyTeDraGon
03-09-2005, 10:23 PM
how about...

"Will it sting you" :? {D

Blasphemy
03-10-2005, 03:16 AM
how about...

"Will it sting you" :? {D

Adding to that...I've heard "Do they bite?" when referring to a scorpion.

Belarius
03-10-2005, 03:18 AM
How about the idea that all Tarantulas have hairy legs and armpits cuz deep down in their little hearts they all back up the hardcore feminist movement? :} Okay girls, just kidding, you can kick my butt later.

MyNameHere
03-10-2005, 04:14 AM
This is an actual conversation I had w/a friend of mine. This man is well-educated, with two post-secondary degrees (niether of which prevented him from sending me an email with this story (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/tacobell.asp) in it, unfortunately :rolleyes: )

he: "I have this spider bite and..."
me: "when did you get bitten by a spider?"
he: "I dunno."
me: "did you feel it when the spider bit you?"
he: "no."
me: "did you see the spider?"
he: "no, but it looks just like the spider bite my mom had."
me: "did she see the spider that bit her?"
he: "no, but that's what the doctor told her it was."

:wall:

Rob1985
03-10-2005, 05:34 AM
The best I ahve heard form Deatgco is. "Hey those Goliath Birdeaters man they vicious, I saw eat a bird here" I told him "really and how big was the T.blondi"? he said "T.blondi, what is that"? :rolleyes: "I told him that was latin name for it", well anyways he said it was about 5 inches. I just laughed and told him and the bird didn't kill it? Another was a "Does it have venom"? No it squeezes it deatch and cooks WTF? Another one is "does it poo", I said" no it just eats and then stores it"!!! WTF. Pet stores need to educate themselves alot more before selling them. :(

CreepyCrawly
03-10-2005, 03:18 PM
"Don't forget...never scream if you see a tarantula.They are attracted by screams and will just come closer and bite you.

Hahaha... my friend and I nearly proved this one true when we were in highschool. I was staying the night at her house, and her A. seemani had gotten out of it's tank, and we hadn't even noticed it yet. The next morning her mom was walking down the hall to her bedroom to wake us up or something, and started screaming (like mad screaming, not scared screaming) because the spider was in the middle of the hall.

We opened the door to see what exactly was going on. Almost like it was out of a movie - her on one side of the door leaning over to see through the door, me on the other side, and her mom dead center of the hall screaming with the spider facing her mom, and heading straight towards her. My friend's mom didn't mind the spiders, and wasn't afraid of them, she just got very upset when they would get loose, as it is irresponsible.

No doubt it was because the hall was dark and quiet before her mom came down the stairs and turned on the light, and started screaming - which I'm sure disturbed it at least a little and it probably just wanted to find a good hiding spot, and to get out of the bright light and noise... but it was quite funny to see her backing up and continuing to yell at us despite the pretty large black and white spider scurrying towards her relatively fast. Itsy Bitsy (the spider's name) was extremely slow, and was always hiding. Who knows what prompted her to push the lid off her tank though.

We quickly scooped up the spider, put it back in it's cage (and secured with a very pretty rock), and she promptly hid and wasn't seen again for a month.

Blasphemy
03-10-2005, 03:26 PM
At least she didn't freak out enough to grab a broom and start smacking it ;)

CreepyCrawly
03-10-2005, 03:54 PM
At least she didn't freak out enough to grab a broom and start smacking it ;)

Hahaha, yeah. It could've gone a thousand times worse. If it'd been my mom she would've started telling everyone she knew that her daughter set the big mean spider loose and told it to attack her mother - and it chased her down the hall... But her mom was very cool about it, just upset that the cage wasn't secured... the house could've been a big death trap for the spider - cats, dogs, people... there are probably a million things that could've killed it, including a fall from the shelf it's cage was on.

common spider
03-10-2005, 06:00 PM
God is it that bad in the world????????????I think it is sad that people are so misled about the Tarantula. :(

But on the other had I think some of the myths I have read here have given me a good laugh................ {D

Strang Love
03-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Not sure about the boot but a guy i work with swears on his life that his T.blondi got out and was on a wall. hey took a cardboard box lid and tried to place it over the T and put some cardboard behind to take the T off the wall when all of a sudden the T jumped off the wall at him and bit through the cardboard. Hand to god he tells this everytime we talk about T's. Sounds impressive to me. :clap:

common spider
03-10-2005, 08:59 PM
If the spider did that I tip my hat to her. :wicked:

arachnojunkie
03-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I went to the local pet store the other day only to walk in to an employee holding a rosea infront of some customers, (showing off I suppose) before I get to the display tanks where this is happening I hear a bunch of screams from various guys and girls alike and see the rosea upside down on the floor, it bit the employee....so the spider is on its back from a 3ft fall kicking around with about 10 morons circled around it trying to pick it up with a piece of notebook paper. I walk up move the herd of cattle out of my way safely scoop the spider up, check it for damages(surprisingly had none) and put it back in its cage.......looks of aww spread all over the place(you would have thought I parted the red sea or something) soon followed by a girl asking a seperate employee are they poisonous? Employee says no they have no venom.:cue me making him feel really stupid: "yes all tarantulas have venom and are capable of biting you, but rosea doesnt have enough toxicity to seriously hurt you, unless you are allergic, elderly or a child, and then it might not be (that) bad of a reaction. "
:8o employee :8o

This dissapointed me because the employee that told the girl tarantulas had no venom owns various species of scorpions....just would like to think he would have known better.

Another one not about tarantulas but spiders none the less:
A guy I know that just got back from Iraq was trying to convince me that there are these GIANT 3ft Desert Spiders all over the place in Iraq...I told him that surely if there were such creatures that they would have made it into the pet trade and would obviously be in the book of world records.....three foot spiders.......if only it were true :drool:

Myths get started about tarantulas all the time, I think mostly due to their(to most people)intimidating size. The sad part is that there will be no end to this nonsense, no matter how much we try to educate. In the eyes of the common man/woman, tarantulas, no matter what species, will (from one extreme) always have the potential to kill you, or (from the other) will not be able to harm you at all, depending on the what the person has "heard", there is no medium for these people. I have learned from my young age of 21 that most people I have encountered are stuck on their way of thinking and cannot possibly be convinced otherwise. It is amazing how many people will go to their grave believing that there are these gigantickilleveryonechasepeopledevourtheirbrainsju mpfrombuildingsliketobecuddledneedaffectionandaspo ngetosurvivewierdifyouownonespiders.....which is clearly not the case. Just like trying to convince the pope he isn't catholoc IMO.

Blasphemy
03-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Another one not about tarantulas but spiders none the less:
A guy I know that just got back from Iraq was trying to convince me that there are these GIANT 3ft Desert Spiders all over the place in Iraq...I told him that surely if there were such creatures that they would have made it into the pet trade and would obviously be in the book of world records.....three foot spiders.......if only it were true :drool:

It is a myth of sorts...but there is a giant species of anthropod that looks similar to a spider and here is a link to a website that just about covers the myth: http://video.clipstream.com/content/c/camel_spiders/

lta3398
03-11-2005, 06:39 PM
People are amazing when they are not educated in a subject, aren't they??? If one more person tells me my rosie or my seemanni will bite me and cause my hand to swell twice it's normal size and I will end up in the ER, I AM GONNA SCREAM!!!! And my blondi, forget it. He is the devil itself!!!! My poor A. avic seems to be the only one safe because she is small and pretty and doesn't look intimidating. But people still freak if they find out I handled her just to even clean her substrate. HMMMMMM.....and was that YOUR dog that bit the neighbors's kid? or YOUR cat that claws your furniture to shreds? I am sitting here looking at all my T's right now, and my hamsters and gerbils are scarier than they are. Go figure.

IrishLad17
04-05-2005, 06:36 PM
watched an old movie showing this girl in a space-like suit supposedly to protect her from a bunch of rosies all around her from getting bitten, and another guy threatening to kill himself by letting a smith run on his chest..the T then...(computer generated) bit him and immedieately he fell on the floor dead...after the girl was bein rescued, they told her to go to the ambulance to get an antivenom..god...

OH MY GOD, I SAW THE SAME MOVIE THIS WEEKEND!!! lol, I've read this post before, so when I saw the movie, it just seemed so familiar. Now I know why!!!

Elizabeth
04-05-2005, 09:42 PM
It is a myth of sorts...but there is a giant species of anthropod that looks similar to a spider and here is a link to a website that just about covers the myth: http://video.clipstream.com/content/c/camel_spiders/

Even these giant camel spiders are a myth. They aren't giant. There's been at least a couple of threads on these over in Other Arachnids.

Let me see if I can get a good link to one:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=31753&highlight=Iraq

Apocalypstick
04-05-2005, 10:21 PM
This isn't really a story of a stupid myth...just a cute incident.

I was in the pet shop last week where I always get my cricks... I had taken my little critter keeper because I only wanted a couple as I was almost sure my T was pre-molt (she was and has) and it's just easier for them to toss a couple in it than do the airbag thing.

The shop was fairly crowded with several kids among the lot. I got my two cricks in my keeper and then we decided to look at all the puppies. As we looked, a boy about six or seven pulled on my shirt. I asked what he wanted...he said, "Those are crickets in there aren't they" as he pointed to the keeper box. I said, "They sure are crickets". He replied, You have a tarantula don't you?" My reply, "How'd you know that?" "Because", he said, "Tarantulas are the only animals that would eat those crappy things".

To hear this come out of this little kids mouth in such a serious tone was hilarious...several people nearby burst into laughter. Our little boy genius then said, "What's so funny...tarantulas eat gross stuff like that. They think it tastes good... I think they must be kinda crazy"

Gawd did I LMAO in the car. It was so cute!

bagheera
04-05-2005, 11:04 PM
"Those are crickets in there aren't they" as he pointed to the keeper box. I said, "They sure are crickets". He replied, You have a tarantula don't you?" My reply, "How'd you know that?" "Because", he said, "Tarantulas are the only animals that would eat those crappy things".

With a mouth like that you should have made him eat them ;P
Or told him that your OBT prefers 6 y/o's?
{D

MysticKigh
04-05-2005, 11:05 PM
I think one of my favorites has to be "They chase down, bite, and kill your pets"

Fortunately I can say that this statement was made by an 8 year old, not an adult. On the other hand ... who taught him that .. ahem, junk?
Good news, it was a statement made during one of our school presentation so I had the opportunity to fix it :)

mo_2
04-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I agree about the massive fight between the household pets. If one more person sugests a death match between my animals I will choke the life out of them (not literally).

Dragonhunter
04-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by jeffh_x
watched an old movie showing this girl in a space-like suit supposedly to protect her from a bunch of rosies all around her from getting bitten, and another guy threatening to kill himself by letting a smith run on his chest..the T then...(computer generated) bit him and immedieately he fell on the floor dead...after the girl was bein rescued, they told her to go to the ambulance to get an antivenom..god.../QUOTE/

So, is anyone going to reveal the name of this movie? I would really be interested in a good laugh.

xanadu1015
04-06-2005, 07:26 PM
I was in a Petco checking out their rosies and I decided to pick one up. There were of course the usual: "You can actually handle that THING?". Not to mention this little gem: "Aren't you scared?". Um..hello genius? If I am holding a tarantula, one would infer that I am not afraid of said tarantula. :rolleyes:

Then some idiot teenager comes up to me and proceeds to tell me, "You know, spiders are going to take over the world and enslave us humans, didn't you see the movie Arachnophobia?" I looked at him expecting him to break out in to laughs and tell me he was kidding. Instead, he looks at me and says, "What? Didn't you know already?". All I could do was stare and hope the men in white coats were around somewhere in the store with his medication. :eek:
He actually looked like he believed that statement.

Laura

mo_2
04-06-2005, 07:32 PM
The best one I heard was from a man who was visiting from Germany. I was working in a pet store that sold tarantulas and he asked m if we sold the antivenom for each species we sold. I said tat we had no need to sell the antivenom because the species we sold were not poven to be dangerous to people. he then told me that his friend back home had a "bird eating" tarantula that he let loose in the house and his friend had to own the antivenom because the spider was so deadly. I told him that his friendshould do some research because I think he was charged for something he dident need. He then went on to tell me that he saw the spider with his own eyes, jump from five feet away from the wall all the way to the ceiling. I argued myself blue but he would no hear of it. this "bird eater" was also about a foot long. my only question was why did he let this "deadly " spider run loose in his house?

Dreadwraven
06-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Thought I'd do a search before I posted a new one and I found this. I've had an absolutely grand time reading all of these.

Anyway, the one I wanted to add was this:
(following the recent purchase of a king baboon)

Guy I work with: You gotta be careful man, them things can shoot their fangs at you!

Me: Don't worry, I've already had him defanged.

Guy I work with: Thats a smart move, but they'll grow back.

Me: (quitely sit back at my desk and chuckle)

By-Tor
06-30-2006, 12:55 PM
I was at the pet store the other day and they told me it had a baby then ate it{D it was so much food that it got bigger too