How do you label your tanks?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just curious how everyone labels their containers?

Do you note anything particular, or just put "G.rosea - "Fluffy"" on the label :p or maybe you don't bother at all.

Personally, I put the species name, the initials of the breeder/supplier, when they were hatched (assuming I know) and the number of the spider (ie subfusca no1 subfusca no 2 etc) as well as the country of origin if it's a "regional variant"., and when I'm sure, I'll put the sex too.

Attachments

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I label mine with the scientific name, and then the "pet" name.

I've been keeping all the info such as sex, etc. in a log in Microsoft Excel.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
i put the latin name, the date of purchase or hatched out whatever one i know of. and if i have multiple of the same specie they get the label 1A 1B 1C etc on the side of the enclosure..then the rest of the info is in were i keep my notes.

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scientific name,common name,number,and dealers initials on all enclosures.Also all this is written in a notepad with date of purchase,TR/AB,size at purchase , molt dates and price.
The collection is growing and its important to keep organized :)

Freddie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I usually glue there little labels where reads all what i have to know.
On some cages i have write only number.

Attachments

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I put the generally accepted common name (according to the ATS), the full scientific name, date acquired and hatch date, if known. I like the idea of also putting the dealer name on it as well.

The main reason I put the common name on the label is when I do presentations to young school kids, it is easier to ise the common name. I do explain why there are problems with them, and why it is best to use the scientific name, but for the short presentations, the common names are easier for a class full of 7 year old kids. My own kids all know the scientific names for our tarantulas. We even quiz each othe ron speeling at times.

Sasa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have only sex and latin name. If I have many of them I put number too.

Like this:

I have also computer program (my husband made it for me) where I have also possible name, size, molts, feeding, birth date, dealer/breeder, price, date of purchase etc.

Yeah, it seems difficult, but I just have to click T´s name to mark that I have fed her. ;)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I only label my slings, premade stickers with "ART:" on them (SPECIES in swedish)
Can look something like this:

/Lelle

Last edited:

SpiderDork

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess I'm in the minority here, I don't label the enclosures but I do maintain a record of every spider along with daily observations.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I only put what species (IE: AVMET), and number it if I have more than one (IE: AVMET01).
I'll put the sex if known. All other info (date aquired, molt dates, breeding info etc) is in my Access Arachnopets db. or on my Excel spreadsheet.
I will also put the stock number if it's from someone that uses those

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I put on my tanks only label with "jolly roger" when spider is fast, agressive and has strong venom... like Poecilotheria.
All spider and insect data are recorded in my notepad.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The ones I got from espiderworld, I keep the label that comes with the spider. I tape it to the enclosure. The others, I write the initials of the scientific name on the lid of thier enclosure.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
my slings get a number on them, as well as the initials of the species (ie. BV for Brachypelma vagans). the numbers are then entered into my computer (into a spreadsheet) which has more details (date acquired, scientific name, size, sex, etc).

adults will follow the same numbering system,
Mori

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ID stickers...

I had a friend print up some white 4" x 2" removable stickers for all my tanks and enclosures. It says "Tarantula Tag" with dedicated lines for Genus, species, Origin, date acquired, sex and misc. info.
It's easy to locate one now, instead of digging around back there.
Becca-
I like your plastic enclosures with the drilled airholes, did you make those?
:)

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Scientific name, ID # (ex. TAPplu1, 2, 3, etc), and sex. The person it was purchased from and the date of purchase are recorded in a log book.

Gregg1LE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Label on my big girls tank:
Birdie(name)
Lasiodora Parahybana(scientific name)
Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater(common name)
E-Spiderworld(place of purchase)
5-1-02(date of posession)

I also keep a post it note for molt dates on the tank.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have simply labeled mine as follows
b.Smithi (nice)
A.avicularia (nice ish)
c. cyaneopubescens (not nice)
P.murinus (horrid!)

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
I use little white sticker labels. One label has the scientific name in bold black. The other has the common name in a pale blue pen I have.

If there is more than one of that species, they are given a number.
A.avic 1, A.avic 2, etc. I have a notebook that I record date acquired, molts, escapes and recaptures (hehe), and anything else significant. I do not record molts from babies. I only start keeping track of the molts once they graduate out of the sauce cups.

I only name the known female spiders I have. (I'm going to have them a while!). I bought some wooden heart shapes, and I'm going to paint their pet names on them real nice when I have some time. I'll stick them to their tanks with stick-tac or something easily removable.
Hey, I'm a girl....I can have little hearts on my tanks if I want to....
D.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
I had a friend print up some white 4" x 2" removable stickers for all my tanks and enclosures. It says "Tarantula Tag" with dedicated lines for Genus, species, Origin, date acquired, sex and misc. info.
It's easy to locate one now, instead of digging around back there.
Becca-
I like your plastic enclosures with the drilled airholes, did you make those?
:)
Here's the Tarantula Tag he was talking about :)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=35058