Native Species Wishlist

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After doing some research on species native to the Northwest, I'm going hunting for the following come spring and summer:

Cicindela oregona
Omus californicus
Scaphinotus angusticollis
Calosoma calidum
Harpalus pennsylvanicus
Buprestis aurulenta
Alaus melanops
Prionus californicus
Ergates spiculatus
Chrysochus cobaltinus
Myrmeleontidae sp.
Phymata erosa
Microcentrum rhombifolium
Ceuthophilus sp.
Cyphoderris monstrosa
Stenopelmatus fuscus
Litaneutria minor
Aquarius remigis
Lethocerus americanus
Family Corixidae
Notonecta unifasciata
Ranatra sp.
Gyrinus sp.
Dystiscus marginicollis
Lithobius sp.
Harpaphe haydeniana
Family Eremobatidae
Dolomedes triton
Misumena vatia
Argiope aurantia

It's going to be a busy summer! :D

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi.
I think you should exclude some species. Especially from family Cerambycidae (Long horned beetles), like: Ergates sp., Prionus sp. ect. And also family Buprestidae.
Saproxylic species are very difficult to keep, so I believe that it is more possible that you will lost them than breed them.
Believe me, I had some experience with them.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Local Hunting

Sounds like a busy summer. I will be hunting down a few species here in Northern Cali.
James
www.blaberus.com

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Cicindela oregona is a common tiger beetle throughout most of the western U.S. and is usually found on the banks of bodies of water, such as streams and rivers. The cicindelid genus Omus comprises of fairly large, all black species. Omus californicus and O. cazieri are recorded in southwestern Oregon while O. audouini and O. dejeanii are recorded throughout most of the western half of the state as well as western Washington. Scaphinotus and other carabids should be fairly common in wooded areas.

The aquatic and semi-aquatic hemipterans (Nepomorpha and Gerromorpha) should all occur in the same habitat (slow/calm bodies of fresh water with plenty of aquatic vegetation). Aquarius remigis (Gerridae) is a very common water strider. Notonectidae and Corixidae are fairly common nepomorphs. If a waterscorpion is found it will most likely be Ranatra fusca (Nepidae), which prefers dense aquatic vegetation. Lethocerus americanus (Belostomatidae) is not as common on the west coast as it is east of the Rocky Mountains. The aquatic Adephaga, such as the Dytiscidae (predacious diving beetles) and Gyrinidae (whirligig beetles) will occur in the same type of habitat.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Katydids of the genus Microcentrum can be very common around bright lights during the summer nights in the northwest as well. I find dozens of specimens every year.

Alex S.