Questions for the B.dubia experts

TexasJackDaniel

Arachnopeon
For you B.dubia experts out there, I have a couple of questions.

First, I know that it takes 3 to 5 months for B.dubia nymphs to mature and become productive breeders. Also know that when they are breeding that they have between 15 and 30 young.

Question1 - How often will/can B.dubia produce offspring? monthly? or some other interval?

Question 2 - What is a good/optimum ratio of males to females within a colony?

Question 3- What is a good starter colony size? I have 105 mature females and about 60 mature males. I was thinking of breaking them up into 3 distinct colonies of 35.20 Good? Bad?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Several experienced keepers have stated that dubia breed better in larger numbers, so breaking them into smaller groups might slow your breeding down. I havn't had the fortune of breeding dubia yet, but I hope they are on their way. Especially since I installed the heat mat under their container.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dubia

I keep between 125-150 females and 40-50 males per bin. I'm so busy lately that I don't pay much attention to the number of days, but ever 30-45 days I usually pull out between 1,000-2,000 nymps. Next time I see a male and female locked up I'll see if I can grab her out and see how long her getation period lasts. I do have some new bins with 500 large nymphs/adults, and they are also breeding all the time, but to many and you will have them picking at freshly molted nymps, even with plenty of food around.
James
www.blaberus.com
P.S. For me B. dubia produce more consistanly than any other non-climber. The females usually have a good life span and although males don't last nearly as long you don't need as many and they mature much faster.

TexasJackDaniel

Arachnopeon
james said:
I keep between 125-150 females and 40-50 males per bin. I'm so busy lately that I don't pay much attention to the number of days, but ever 30-45 days I usually pull out between 1,000-2,000 nymps. Next time I see a male and female locked up I'll see if I can grab her out and see how long her getation period lasts. I do have some new bins with 500 large nymphs/adults, and they are also breeding all the time, but to many and you will have them picking at freshly molted nymps, even with plenty of food around.
James
www.blaberus.com
P.S. For me B. dubia produce more consistanly than any other non-climber. The females usually have a good life span and although males don't last nearly as long you don't need as many and they mature much faster.

James,

What size containers do you use for you use for your mix of 125-150 females with 40 to 50 males (3:1 ratio)?

I am using Rubbermaid Roughneck's measuring about 12 x 18 x 12 and keep 35.20 in each. Should I get bigger tubs and keep larger colony size?

Also, what do you find to be an optimum temperature?

Do you provide a temperature gradient? or do you use a high ambient temperature?

I keep mine in a walk in closet and would just as soon heat the entire closet with an oil filled heater as opposed to using heating sources such as heating pads or Flexwatt. What do you think?

Will constant ambient temperature work well?

What would you suggest as optimum ambient temperature?

Thanks

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
roaches

Just replied to your PM. They are 16wx16hx24d. Temp range from 80-95. If had didn't use heat tape I would keep the room aound 85F.
Thx,
James
www.blaberus.com

Last edited: