Crickets

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well i have a little pet carrier thing to keep my crickets in as not to give all the crickets at a time to my T. Well i looked in on them today and noticed that i only had 3 left out of 5, the others were dead mangled and missing body parts. Do crickets kill and eat other crickets?

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They will if you dont give them a food supply. Crushed cerial will keep them content.Preferible something like oat bran or wheaties.
Damn filthy crickets!

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sometimes they still kill each other even with food and water supply, sometimes they just droped dead, adult crix life span is only 2 weeks.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
when I kept crickets in plastic bags, they would chew a whole through it and escape over night I'm not sure if the crickets eat each other alive but I have seen them eating dead crickets.

death1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Crix tend to attack each other when they have no hiding places. Eggcrate works well :wall:

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Use a cardboard eggcrate for a hide and provide food and moisture. I use a slice of apple or potato. Still, if one of their number expires, they will cannibalize it.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah i have a piece of cardboard eggcarton in the cage with them, and a water and food source...weird

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the way, how I keep my crickets. If you give them proper amount of food (dry cat food - proteins; vegetables, fruits - water and other microelemnts) they won't kill each other on the large scale.
Adult crickets can live for very long time. Life span of my crixs is generally more than 3 months (except these eaten by T's).

Here are some pics of my Gryllodes sigillatus colony

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but those crickets don't appear to be the same common feeder ones we have here in the US. I don't see any wings, even on the female on the left with the very long ovipositor. Also, they just seem prettier and have stripes on the middle of their body and not their head. Maybe those live longer. I've never had my adults live past about two weeks either. Maybe I am seeing things. I have been up for about a day and a half.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is Gryllodes sigillatus. I think that common english name of that insect is: Indian house cricket (or tropical house cricket). You can keep them in the same way as other crickets, but they can jump very high (and are very fast).
Yes. Females are wingless, males have very short wings.

All my adult crickets: Gryllus campestris, Gryllodes sigillatus, Gryllus assimilis, Gryllus bimaculatus and Acheta domesticus have been living for more than 2 months (G. campestris even 5 months).

You can see all species that I keep (or I've been keeping) here:
http://darkraptor.fateback.com/prostoskrzydle.html

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
My bad, I didn't see the label on the pic. I was just trying to point out that those crix were probably not the kind in question.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
CherishYour_f8 said:
They will if you dont give them a food supply. Crushed cerial will keep them content.Preferible something like oat bran or wheaties.
Damn filthy crickets!
I've seen them eat eachother even with a steady food and water supply.
Filthy crickets indeed!

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They need to have good diet. Not only cereals and plants but also proteins, otherwise they are cannibalistic. I feed them with milk in powder (powder milk ?? - hope you call it this way in english) and they don't kill each other.

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gryllodes sigillatus

Hello,

Gryllodes sigillatus is a very prolific and good feeder for people needing smaller adult sized crix. It is also known as the tropical house cricket. They get between 17-22mm and around 6mm in diameter. Nymphs are around 2mm upon hatching. At temps of 28-31 degrees celsius they hatch in 2 weeks and reach adult hood in 5 weeks at the same temps. females live about 6 weeks and lay 250 EGGS A WEEK for her enitire 6 week adult life. THATS A MINIMUM 1500 PULSE POUNDING CRIX IN 6 WEEKS AND SHE CAN LAY UP TO 300 A WEEK. Also being short wings on the males they are quiet. :clap: Yay no more screaming meat :clap:

Your friendly nationwide roach broker

Digby Rigby

http://exoticfeeders.com

Last edited: