Small s'lings and Kritter Keepers

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just received some P. murinus s'lings today and was wondering something. These s'lings are close to 1". Since I didn't really have any small containers, I have put them into some small kritter keepers. BTW, these things are REALLY fast. Anyway, is a s'ling this size able to get out of through the slats in the lid? At first glance, the slats look too small. However, these aren't montster s'lings either. I would hate to have an escape. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

And yes I know that a Kritter Keeper is a little on the large side for a small s'ling, but at the moment, that is all I had available.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Feed them until their butts are WAY too big to fit through the slits in the side. That's what I would do.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My P. murinus slings are slightly larger than yours now, but I was really afraid of putting them in KK's for the same reason. Hopefully the abdomen is too big to squeeze through. You might want to be careful after a molt if their abdomen is small enough to squeeze through.

About the speed, they are amazingly fast! I watched one of mine catch a cricket the other day and all I saw was a blur of orange and then a missing cricket. I was rehousing one of mine and it got away from us, went out of the sink, and into a hinge on the cabinet door in just a few seconds.

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes the obt's are very fast. and i would think they could fit through the little slats in the kk's but i would also say what everybody else is saying is to feed them lots. i have one very small sling and i had them in containers from michels if u have them in the states im not sure. these are almost like rectangles and they are very good for small slings. i have used them for my pink toe, stripe knee, fasiata and now my charco

Derfjuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive had slings get loose by misjudging their ability to fit through cracks and holes ... id say dont take a chance and wait till you 100% positive

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can find some empty pint jars that would probably be a little better since you wouldn't have to worry about them escaping

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. However, I did get my answer. Shortly after I posted this I found one of the little buggers sitting on top of the Kritter Keeper. It managed to get out. They were only in there for about half an hour before the first escape.

Wrangling the four of them was an experience. Two transfered very easily with no problems. The other two however were a different story. Orange blurs were racing through my kitchen. Three times I ended up with one up my sleeve. My son, who is 9, was assisting in the wrangling. At one point as he was trying to get the one off my back and into the smaller container I found, it ran up his arm. He was a little nervous at the prospect of it running loose on his arm and up his shirt. We did manage to finally get a hold of the little s'ling. My son was a trooper through the whole process. The vials I have them in now are a bit small, but at least they are escape proof. Tomorrow I need to get something different.

However, the lesson is these things can fit through some very small openings.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
tomorrow buy some wonton soup to go, and use the quart or pint sized deli cup to house them. its easy to burn air holes in with a fork. plus you get a great meal :drool: