My B. dubia finally had babies!!!

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is exciting, I started the B. dubia colony last Oct. 8th, they were just a doz juvies, they started to mature right around Dec-Jan. first time I caught them mating was on Dec 13th. for a while I was getting impatient, then finally , after exactly 4 months I saw tiny freshly molted white lil nymphs early this morning. :D :clap: I hope more will come.

Its hard to keep count as they keep running around and hiding, I would guess roughly 15-20 nymphs.....for now.

first pic is the remnant of the egg case, I think its called ootheca (not sure, sorry, I'm more of a T person).
rest of the pics are some of the nymphs...arent they cute? :) as you can see, they like to roll on their backs and play dead.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
about .75'' in diameter (about 2cm). the exact measurement of the nymphs are 6/16 of an inch.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
those funny dubia

Sometimes I wonder if they think they are pillbugs. They love to play dead. When I first got mine a few years ago and very few people had them I think I tossed a bunch of nymphs I thought where dead. Didn't take me long to realize they where just pretending.
James

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the hatchlings.

james, that's too funny! Having chased Nauphoeta cinerea across the room, I can sympathize.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I couldn't find this answer anywhere so I am sorry if I am repeating the question. After the dubia lay an ootheca, how long till it hatches?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Dubia are live bearers so they don't lay their ootheca anywhere, unless it's aborted and dead.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a recently started colony of B dubia as well. The nymphs seem to grow pretty quickly. I think I have had 5 "sets" of babies since stating in September. I have since purchased some larger nymphs as well, since I had large adults and tiny nymphs, and no more in betweens. They sure beat crickets! And they do have some redeeming qualities. Since Cirith Ungol suggested I squeeze their heads (YUCK) before feeding them to the Ts so they don't burrow, I am having an easier time.
Hedorah, I have since also learned that if you see a dried up "worm-like" thing, it means the female aborted the ootheca and will no longer be able to bear babies.

Attachments

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyone know why they would abort the ootheca, if its improper husbandry or not. I am having some difficulty getting this colony to move in the right direction.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Not sure really what it will be. Might be an improper diet or too low temperature. Don't give them cat food is my only food suggestion. Place a heat pad under one part of the box. Don't know any other things that might help.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty much doing all that so I will have to wait and see what happens. Thanx for your advice everyone.:) Jeez, there are people struggling to get rid of roaches and I cannot get the darned things to live.:wall:

billymac

Arachnopeon
Hedorah99 said:
I'm pretty much doing all that so I will have to wait and see what happens. Thanx for your advice everyone.:) Jeez, there are people struggling to get rid of roaches and I cannot get the darned things to live.:wall:
Hedorah what kind of set up do you have? I use a rubbermaid tub, a ZooMed heat cable taped with metal duct tape to a piece of plywood for heat.(raised up with plastic soda caps) I also use 12" x 12" egg crates for hides...I stack 6 together...standing them on end rather than laying them down...

Feeding is easy, oranges, bananas, ground up dry dog food, and occassional water crystals when I am out of Oranges...they like it warm and dark.. I started with different stock from two different sources and they have multiplied unbelievably....I either need to get more T's or start some reptiles...lol

Maybe you just need some new vigorous stock to kick up your colony. :?
Good luck
Bill

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
billymac said:
Hedorah what kind of set up do you have? I use a rubbermaid tub, a ZooMed heat cable taped with metal duct tape to a piece of plywood for heat.(raised up with plastic soda caps) I also use 12" x 12" egg crates for hides...I stack 6 together...standing them on end rather than laying them down...

Feeding is easy, oranges, bananas, ground up dry dog food, and occassional water crystals when I am out of Oranges...they like it warm and dark.. I started with different stock from two different sources and they have multiplied unbelievably....I either need to get more T's or start some reptiles...lol

Maybe you just need some new vigorous stock to kick up your colony. :?
Good luck
Bill

I have a large critter keeper, some egge crates, two bowls ( one with dog food and one with a shallow amount of water), and a heat pad covering approximate; 1/3 of the tank floor. I feed the mostly apple or banana a few times a week. I think I am just expecting them to be a little more prolific than they really are. I may need to switch to B. lateralis.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Hedorah99 said:
I have a large critter keeper, some egge crates, two bowls ( one with dog food and one with a shallow amount of water), and a heat pad covering approximate; 1/3 of the tank floor. I feed the mostly apple or banana a few times a week. I think I am just expecting them to be a little more prolific than they really are. I may need to switch to B. lateralis.
I would suggest you use a whider variety of fruits. Everything that is sweet or neutral to the taste can be used. Orange, over ripe kiwi (they LOVE IT), carrots, you name it. I do what you do, plus what I mentioned now and the box is nearly brimming over ;)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanx Cirith. I just use apples because its the main fruit I have at the house. Like I said, i think my problem is that I expect too much form them. the colony has only been together for a short while. Once a few more of the females mature, it should be fine. Thanx again everyone for your help and suggestions and not telling me to use the search function. :worship:

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Yeah, no problem. But I think you should have used the search function instead! {D

-> ;) !!!

Well, dubias take their time, it's not like they pop in 3-4 weeks or so. I suspect it might rather be closer to 10 weeks actually, but that depends extremely much on the temp. Just buy loads of nice fruits, chop them up and put them in the freezer. Defrost before using them.

billymac

Arachnopeon
I forgot to mention, I hung a reptile thermometer in my tub just to check the temp. I keep it at 80 - 85 degrees F.

Good Luck with them dubias.:)

Bill

YJHB

Arachnopeon
I only have 900 or so individuals, but I only started with mostly nymphs back in around mid April, about 100 of 'em.
Is that about right or should they be going faster? I never find aborted ooetheca's and most of my colony current batch are young...
I'd like them to reproduce faster. My Lateralis (which were purchased like a month later) TOTALLY outstripped the Dubia...

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hedorah99 said:
Anyone know why they would abort the ootheca, if its improper husbandry or not. I am having some difficulty getting this colony to move in the right direction.
It could be, but I don't really know. The colony does take about 2-3 months to really get going. I started my colony in September.(bought the roaches at the Sept. 11th Westchester show). It is only now, that they have really been breeding like mad. I started with 2 dozen adults/older nymphs, including abt 4 adult males. I have since added four more males, as they seemed out numbered. I was using a "purple" bulb at night and a small heat pad by day. I have now stopped the heat because I have added 100 med sized nymphs, and don't need more babies right now. Without the heat, the temp stays at abt 70 degrees(f) ,with the heat bulb it goes up to 90 and it's about 79 with the heat pad. I use apples, crushed dog kibble and water crystals. Hope this helps!