Beetle ID needed....

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The beetle is of the genus Chiasognathus, most likely the species C. granti, which belongs to the Coleopteran family Lucanidae (stag beetles). It has some of the longest mandibles relative to body size out of any beetle and is native to Chile. Awesome species.

Alex S.

MUNG!!!

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks a ton... I am very interested in beetles and the like but am less than knowledgable. Sorry for all the questions but can you recommend a good book? :8o Thanks a million :)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The book "Beetles: A Field Guide to the Beetles of North America" by Richard E. White would probably be a great book for those with a new interest in Coleoptera. :)

Alex S.

MUNG!!!

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks! I can't get enough of these things... a new addiction is born :)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think it goes without saying that beetles are amazing animals and once you develop an interest for them it is endless. Although Hemiptera is my favorite insect order it is followed closely by an infinite fascination with tiger beetles (Cicindelidae) and their kin. You will definitely enjoy being a beetler. :D

Alex S.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:D :worship: :clap: {D :drool: BEETLES RULE!!!!!! i love the predatory beetles the best,all carabids,manticoras,anthias.....BEETLER OH YEAH!