got my first mantid; and clues on ID?

death66

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the title says it all friends. i couldn't pass it up for a mere 15 bux! the lame tag at the shop said "african praying matis" so yeah, your typical void of true ID. well it is about 2.5 inches from head to mantid-butt and any ID help would be much help! thanx all!
Douglas

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sub adult, sphrodomantis sp. male i think, but cant be 100% sure unless i see a better picture of the abdomen.

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it needs to be side on so that you can count the segments on the underside. I wouldnt worry about it though, it looks like a male to me!

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well that sure as hell doesnt look like the common african mantis i had , I think you have something a little better there, No clue what though

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It would be nice to have a pic of the inside of the coxa (Their version of the bicep I suppose) of the prothoracic (front) legs, that way species ID may be possible. It may be Hierodula patellifera, they look very much like Sphodromantis spp. and have a lot of reddish/pink/purple "highlights".

death66

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i know its a large pic, so sorry! but does this help; any clue? thanx to all for the feedback!

bugsnstuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sphrodomantis meridionalis :D

without a doubt, although i could be wrong, lol, it could be gastrica