Roach Set-Up Questions

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I recently received my first order of Blaptica dubia roaches, which I plan to use eventually as feeders.

I have heard that this species is easy to sex because the males develop wings and the females do not.

First off, is the setup okay? I've got them in a Rubbermaid container with peat moss, food, water (water bites), and egg crates to hide in. I'm working on a sort of "roach motel" that I saw for them to live in. They are staying at 73 - 75 degrees F. Is this too cold for breeding?

Can they bite?

Also, is the black roach in the picture a female?

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would warm them up. They will breed at that rate, but they'll breed fairly slow, I think. My roaches have a 90 warm spot against the back "wall" of the tub. I may be shutting off the heatpad at the end of the year for a few months or osmething, if I feel like the colony is growing too fast.

That could be an adult female. I'm not 100% sure. When my roaches turn black I think they've reached the adult stage. At least the adult males molt again after being that dark and turn a very shiny glossy golden color.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, I have a heatmat, but I've been worried that it's too dangerous to put it up against plastic (the rubbermaid container). What do you guys think?

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Should be safe, I've a heatmat against my plastic containers 24/7 with no problems.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a heatmat stuck to the back wall of the rubbermaid on mine. Haven't had any issues or problems..it's been running for over a month now.

scaramanga

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i haaaate my lobster roaches and i don't know what to do with them!

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dubia

Your set-up is fine I would just add some more egg crates. That is an adult female. You'll know when you get a male because they have wings. The females vary in color from black to black with lots of orange. Got to get the temps up to 85-95F. I personally do not use substrate with my dubias, but that's just because it makes it easier to seperate the thousands of nymphs.
James
www.blaberus.com