OMG! Mean Roaches!

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
My orangeheads have brutally attacked the last four females to molt into an adult, swarming over them, eating wings and parts of their backs before they are even done molting. They don't attack the molting males, as their wings are flawless, or the growing nymphs. They have plenty of high protein food, water, and fruit, and the tank is nowhere near overcrowded. Why are they attacking the females????? They have survived due to my intervention, but are pretty roughed up. Is there a way to sex them before they mature so I can seperate the females prior to their maturing molt?

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
BTW, I think this has been going on for a lot longer than I know, because the reason I decided to keep such a close eye on my roaches was I noticed how incredibly male (80% of adults) the populaton was. I thought I was somehow subconsciencely descriminating when picking out feeders or something, when I saw the attacks. The attackers were a group of five or so winged males, and they started eating the victims alive the instant they poked their little roach head out of the molt. Anyone else seen this? RECAP: only ADULT MALES attacking molting FEMALES on their maturing molt. Happened 4 times that I've seen. Seems crazy.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have noticed that these roaches are especially prone to attacking each other while molting, and adults with chewed wings and damaged abdomens are common in by bin. This will occur even if you offer a high protien diet, but it won't happen as much. I have not, however, bothered to take note of the sex of the mangled roaches, but maybe I will to see if it's happening this way for mine.

I have thousands of these things, so it doesn't seem to hurt my population any. Trying to remove females prior to maturity seems like a lot of work. I'd just concentrate on feeding off excess males so more females survive. You might have been feeding off females too much, possibly because they're so much bigger and heavier that they look like they'd make a better meal.

Wade

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's quite odd. In the eight months I've had these roaches, I hadn't a single instance of them eating each other at molting, a few have chewed up wings, but they only do that when I go a few days with giving them apples. They have a constant supply of high protein (31%) kitten food and water.

sbear

Arachnopeon
I've never had this problem either, I've heard that you can put other insects in there cages and they will eat them. I've put in both crickets and mealworms and both are doing just fine. My only guess would be not enough protein.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I put in scrificial crickets as well once in a while. I do try to cut down on the adult mal population, I guess I will try to hack it down a bit further. My colony isn't that big right now, maybe 150 roaches right now, 6 or so adult females, and a bajillion adult males with more popping up every day. Don't they know they are ruining their chances with the ladies? I will feed off some more males tonight.

ROACHMAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
THE MALES ARE TRYING TO MATE WITH HER!! this always happens when a females comes out of her last molt they will do this to every female that molts to adulthood :} :} :} :} :} :}

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
They are eating both of her wings and half of her back out. The victims have large pits in their back of missing roach. That's normal?

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oranges

Like the roachman said they are trying to breed and you probably have to many males. Orange heads breed right after molting and the only thing you can do is cut down on the males, have substrate, and plenty of egg crates.
James
www.blaberus.com

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:confused: :confused: yea but why would they eat eachother??? that is quite strange that they would eat the roach they are going to mate with coz they are not major carnovors like a mantis or a spider????? :confused:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Likley it's an artifact of captivity resulting from the crowded conditions we typically keep them in.

Wade

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yea most probalbly they get cramped and anoye and the only way to reduce space kill eachother (lol like theyed realy think that)