Beetles or Butterflies?

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyone a beetle or butterfly breeder? I'm currently breeding bess beetles and painted lady butterflies. I would like to compare notes.

SebastianH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

Kid Dragon said:
Anyone a beetle or butterfly breeder? I'm currently breeding bess beetles and painted lady butterflies. I would like to compare notes.
i even a beetle breeder. At the moment in breed are for example Phalacrognathus muelleri, Lamprima adolphina (lucanids), Mecynorrhina torquata, M. ugandensis, Chelorrhina polyphemus (cetonids) and other species.
Greetings,
Sebastian :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How do you breed bess beetles? Do you cool them? Have you actually gotten eggs/larvae?

Wade

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SebastianH said:
Hi,

i even a beetle breeder. At the moment in breed are for example Phalacrognathus muelleri, Lamprima adolphina (lucanids), Mecynorrhina torquata, M. ugandensis, Chelorrhina polyphemus (cetonids) and other species.
Greetings,
Sebastian,
Your English is good enough to understand. Do you have any experience or tips on breeding Odontotaenius disjunctus?

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wade said:
How do you breed bess beetles? Do you cool them? Have you actually gotten eggs/larvae?

Wade
Yes, I have gotten eggs and larva. The adults feed the larva fungi from their feces. It takes 10-13 months to get larva to the pupa stage. I don't pay any attention to temperature, however the temperature varies from cool in the winter to hot in the summer where I keep them.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SNAKE MAN said:
how do u breed painted lady butterflies??????????????
Painted lady butterflies breed themselves. I give them cud weed to lay their eggs. In about two weeks larva pupate. In about a week, pupa become adults. Adults will feed on nectar from a variety of flowers, but I feed them sugar water in covered deli cups with wicks.

SebastianH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

Kid Dragon said:
Sebastian,
Your English is good enough to understand. Do you have any experience or tips on breeding Odontotaenius disjunctus?
sorry I don´t keep Odontotaenius, only lucanids and ctenoids, no Passalidae.
Greetings,

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:
Yes, I have gotten eggs and larva. The adults feed the larva fungi from their feces. It takes 10-13 months to get larva to the pupa stage. I don't pay any attention to temperature, however the temperature varies from cool in the winter to hot in the summer where I keep them.
I've kept adults for years in a bin full of rotten logs. They live a long time, but I've never seen any larvae. Not really trying to breed them since they're so common locally, but I thought it was odd. I breed Dynastes tityus and Necrophila americana.

Wade