Halloween Crabs

Rockinkitty

Arachnopeon
Hi all

I posted here a few months ago just after we got Sam and Ralph, 2 male halloween crabs. So far...so good. We think. I mean, they're still alive which is great.

We do have questions, though. What kind of sand do you use? We used lizard sand which seems to be fine, but it's very expensive. To get a good depth (all things suggest 8inch depth) we have to spend like 50 bucks or more on one aquarium. Which is fine if that's what it takes, but can we use sandbox grade sand from home improvement stores instead? Do we have to wash it first or just dump it in and away we go? I've read online conflicting info from other pet owners.

We want to seperate the boys. We never see them attacking each other, but, from what I've read, they won't molt if they're together. And they need to molt as they age, correct?

Can I put plants in with them? I have a variety of tropical pothos and arrowheads that might work in there. I realize the crabs might destroy the plants, but heck, everyone needs something to do. :)

The boys hide under coconut shells more often than they dig holes. I wonder if this is just because it's easier or if they're unhappy with the sand.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!