NEW AND REVISED wishlist

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok since noone responded to my last wishlist (i guess it was too short, yeah thats the excuse..er..reason no one responded). Alright, I posted more in the Insects section because most of them are insects. Most I can find right here in Southern California, and the ones that can't be found here can be purchased over the internet. I really really really want your input. So here it goes.

EDIT: Ok, I edited it to include invertebrates that can be found in southern california, so no more Ts or Scorps. Im pretty sure I'll just buy those from a dealer cuz I dont see many emperor scorpions walking around L.A :} So since its been reduced to such a short list Id be happy for any suggestions.

SO CAL INVERT WISH LIST
False Widow Spider Steotoda paykullii
Jerusalem Cricket Stenopelmatus fuscus
Carolina Wolf Spider Hogna carolinensis
Antlion Myrmyleon formicarius
Tiger Beetle Cicindela oregona

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The waterscorpion Nepa cinerea does not occur in the U.S. It is a mainly European species. There is only one species of waterscorpion within the genus Nepa that occurs in the United States, Nepa apiculata (although N. cinerea is sometimes referred to as it's synonym), whose range includes the eastern U.S. Even within it's range, though, N. apiculata is recorded to not be very abundant so it is extremely important not to over collect.

The tiger beetle Cicindela ohlone was listed as an endangered species in October 2001, which is very unfortunate as it is an incredibly beautiful species, so collecting this beetle is definitely not a good idea. There are many other, more common species of the genus Cicindela, though, within the U.S., such as C. oregona, C. sexguttata, or C. formosa that would be just as interesting to manage in captivity.

Alex S.

Last edited:

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanx for the info regarding legality of some of the insects, im pretty sure that I misnamed the waterscorpion. I can picture the insect that I want perfectly in my mind but, that was the only species that matched my description, that is a shame about Cicindela ohlone but I certainly wouldnt want to infringe upon the law. So any of the other species you mentioned native to southern california?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey IrishLad17,

The range of Cicindela oregona does include some parts of southern California, mainly around the Imperial Valley region. Other species with fairly widespread southern California ranges include Cicindela hirticollis and C. senilis. All of them are awesome species.

In your list you also mention Stenopelmatus fuscus (Jerusalem cricket) which you will have absolutely no trouble finding under logs, stones, in the right type of soil etc. during this time of year. Have fun collecting!

Alex S.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was planning to go out looking for C. oregana as well this year. I'll let you know if I find any.

Alex, good to see that you're still around!

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok as you can see ive narrowed it down even further. It occurred to me, 'I really dont have that much room' So now I've narrowed down my list...again.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the jerusalem cricket isn't a good choice. I haven't ever heard of them thriving in captivity. They are interesting, voracious feeders that will give a painfull nip if provoked.
Rev

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
reverendsterlin said:
the jerusalem cricket isn't a good choice. I haven't ever heard of them thriving in captivity. They are interesting, voracious feeders that will give a painfull nip if provoked.
Rev
Really, I heard that they actually do pretty well in captivity :confused: oh well, if I find one I'll keep it for a few days and if it does poorly I'll let it go, no reason to let it suffer in captivity.

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One more question before I go to sleep (sorry for all the newbie questions, and this one is REALLY newbish).
I've never really gone out looking for insects of specific type. Sure once or twice Ive gone for walks and seen an interesting beetle or spider and put it in a little kritter-keeper, but how should I go about looking for the bugs on my list. What would I need to take with me, when should I look, where? Basic stuff like that. Once again thank you so much for answering my newbie question :worship:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alex S. said:
The waterscorpion Nepa cinerea does not occur in the U.S. It is a mainly European species. There is only one species of waterscorpion within the genus Nepa that occurs in the United States, Nepa apiculata (although N. cinerea is sometimes referred to as it's synonym), whose range includes the eastern U.S. Even within it's range, though, N. apiculata is recorded to not be very abundant so it is extremely important not to over collect.
Actually, I'm not so sure they're rare, just extremely cryptic and therfore hard to see, even when you've got one in your dip net. They tend to pull their legs up close to to their bodies and look for all the world like a small, dead, rotten leaf and blend it with all the leaf litter they live among.

I find them pretty regularly here in VA, but usually by accident! I can go out dipnetting in a pool for hours and not find one, but then find one in the bucket full of muck I scooped up for a softshell turtle tank. This is actually how I found one the first time, and it turned out to be a county record.

Wade

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IrishLad17 said:
One more question before I go to sleep (sorry for all the newbie questions, and this one is REALLY newbish).
I've never really gone out looking for insects of specific type. Sure once or twice Ive gone for walks and seen an interesting beetle or spider and put it in a little kritter-keeper, but how should I go about looking for the bugs on my list. What would I need to take with me, when should I look, where? Basic stuff like that. Once again thank you so much for answering my newbie question :worship:
For tiger beetles, you'll probably want an aireal net, as they use for butterflies. Tiger beetles are absurdly fast and take flight in an instant, when you see them you'll probably assume they're flies, they're so active.

For the other animals on your list, you'll either be catching them by hand or else scooping them directly into a collection container. Lots of containers will work, deli cups, pill vials, small jars, film cannisters (wash 'em out good!). Kritter keepers are too bulky for field collecting, since most of these animals can't be packed together.

Tiger beetles tend to turn up in open areas with sandy soil, often boardering the forrest. Antlions (I assume you're looking for the laravae) also like sand soil, or just sand, to build their funnel traps. I see them most often near buildings where the overhang protects the area from rain. In the right spot, you'll see dozens of the little funnels. Sometimes you can just blow into the bottom of the funnel to remove the sand and expose the bug.

The other animals wre going to be found looking under logs, boards, rocks etc., or they might be encountered in the open at night if you're hunting with a flashlight.

Wade

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wade said:
For tiger beetles, you'll probably want an aireal net, as they use for butterflies. Tiger beetles are absurdly fast and take flight in an instant, when you see them you'll probably assume they're flies, they're so active.
I can only add, that they are less active just after the rain and in the early morning or evening. You can find them on sandy roads or in the forests they've got their hideouts under small rocks. Larvae dig deep, vertical tunels, also easy to find.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wade said:
Actually, I'm not so sure they're rare, just extremely cryptic and therfore hard to see, even when you've got one in your dip net. They tend to pull their legs up close to to their bodies and look for all the world like a small, dead, rotten leaf and blend it with all the leaf litter they live among.

I find them pretty regularly here in VA, but usually by accident! I can go out dipnetting in a pool for hours and not find one, but then find one in the bucket full of muck I scooped up for a softshell turtle tank. This is actually how I found one the first time, and it turned out to be a county record.

Wade
Hey Wade,

Most species within the subfamily Nepinae, especially in the genus Nepa are leaf mimics. N. apiculata is not extremely rare or endangered but being the only species of the genus in the U.S. its always good to make sure they are not over collected. I was mainly comparing their abundance to the North American Ranatra, which contains 10 species throughout the U.S. and are by far the most common waterscorpions in the country. I’m sure many specimens of N. apiculata have been overlooked while population numbers were being counted do to the fact that they are camouflaged so well. Overall, though, it is awesome that you are finding various specimens and the population in your area is doing well!

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
IrishLad17 said:
Really, I heard that they actually do pretty well in captivity :confused: oh well, if I find one I'll keep it for a few days and if it does poorly I'll let it go, no reason to let it suffer in captivity.
Kept under the right conditions Stenopelmatus will do well in captivity. This genus mainly thrives in deep, somewhat sandy soil with a humid atmosphere. In captivity it is best to keep them in at least 3 inches of substrate (mixed peat or potting soil with some sand) with various objects to hide under (cork bark etc.). Specimens I'v kept have especially liked apple slices, various vegetables, and, since they are omnivorous, occasionally small insects, such as crickets.

Alex S.

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hey irishlad, i live in north cal. and my list is more or less the same, on the flip side, i've been collecting bugs to observe and release since i could walk. if i happen to find more than one i'll be sure to tell u so i can ship it to you (don't know how to ship a waterscorpion tho). i'll tell u if anything comes up, i'm just getting into raising inverts but i've been around them alot. happy hunting, i bet i'll find more cool inverts than u! a competition i say! :D

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey thank you all so much for the good advice, that doesnt mean you can stop giving me more though {D ! Black Hawk, that would be great if you find an extra bug or two, or a dozen :} Im pretty sure you would find more cool inverts than me, I dont know if I wouldn't be able to find as many bugs on the list in bustling Los Angeles. *curses heavy industrial expansion*

Last edited:

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
lol! :p i know, LA prolly disturbs insect populations, luckily i have many ponds and creeks near me. there's even one in my backyard :D . i'll keep my eye's peeled, it really helps i live near a nature researve too, there are all sorts of wildlife, we see deer everyday. and to boot, there are loads of old fallen oak trees for insects to be in! i love invert hunting! :D

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yup, you called it! LA doesnt have many non-pest species of inverts available. Cockroaches, termites, and ants sure. Nothing much else. Of course there is Madrona Marsh near hear. Seems like a good place for bugs, I might go look there soon. Please, I beg you all, send bugs to a poor invert-less city boy.

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'm working on a project currently and if i pull it off i will definately have a bountiful harverst of inverts to look over, and pleny of katydids. i haven't decided if i'm going to keep these creatures or feed them to my emp. i'll prolly keep the cool inverts, and things like grasshoppers and katydids will go to the emp. i don't think my dad puts pesticide in our yard so i'm not especially worried. i'll try to get a pic of my first bountiful harvest, if everything goes as planned, for your enjoyment. and if it does work i'll teach you the trick i picked up. i'm keepin my fingers crossed, i hope it works! :D