discoid roach question

vipvenom

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I am attempting to breed the discoid roach. I currently have about 8-10 adults. I have had them for about 1month now and they still have not produced any offspring. Is this odd. I have a heat lamp on them in the day to make the cage about 90 and at night the cage doesn't go any lower than 78. I feed them new veggies every other day and add a small amount of grains when they get low. Am I doing anything wrong? What can I do to speed up the breeding process or is this just something natural happening?

thanks,
Chris Embick

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
try feeding them some protien(dog food /fish flakes), and mabey find another heat source, raches hate light

vipvenom

Arachnopeon
I will try to use a different source of heat than the light. I have heat tape setup with underneith the tub but it isn't enough to heat the air more than about 5 degrees so all they really get is belly heat. I do feed some ground up dog food with the grains. What are some other ways I can heat the rub without using light or could I use red light?

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heat tape is fine. It's what I use for my roaches, and then I just provide layers of egg cartons so they can regulate themselves.

vipvenom

Arachnopeon
Xelda,
What is the temperature of your colony? Also do you leave the heat tape on without a rheostat or thermostat?

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heat tape

I have mine turned up all the way. My temps run from 80F on the cool side to 100F on the hot side. They also can climb on the egg crates over the various zones for different temps. I have some documents under my Help & Support section you could read.
Thx,
James
www.blaberus.com