Hurcules Beetles

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Finally got them out of the dirt for a photo opportunity. I got these as grubs.....HUGE grubs :D Now theyre HUGE beetles :D:D. The male will grab hold of you and stick you with the spikes on his legs....and NOT let go. Its pretty freaky :eek: The female is a lot more docile.

Enjoy

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice!!! Glad they made it! Any eggs yet?

Wade

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Im not sure....the female stays buried ALL the time..I check in the middle of the night and NEVER see her. The male is out all the time...he eats like a pig!! I have to dig up the female and put her in the syrup then she eats a lot. I dont think the male has ever SEEN her... What do the eggs look like?
Do you have any grubs yet?

Michelle

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If they're together, odds are the male has found her. With mine, it took several months before I started finding eggs. The eggs look like...eggs! Seriously, like little tiny white bird eggs, about 1/8" or so long. The female will usually lay eggs singly in the bottom of the rearing container and pack dirt tightly around them. If you start digging in there and you notice it's tighly packed near the bottom, than chances are there's eggs burrried in there. I usually dig the eggs up and set them up in a seperate container, as the female may accidently crush them when she's packing the substrate. I check twice a week or so by GENTLY digging through the substrate. So far, I've got a few dozen grubs and lots of eggs. I've got 9 females so I should have a nice harvest this year :D

Wade

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are so cool looking Michelle! I wish I could have one!

BTW, Sprocket is doing well and eats like a pig!

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wish i had one too, they are very strong for their size and it would be cool to see two males fight over the female.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
does anyone have these for sale? i reaaaaaaaaaaally want one

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are awesome! :worship:
Large Dynastinae, Lucanidae and Cetoninae (or now Cetonidae) are still rare and very expensive in Poland. I wish to have some of them in my collection :rolleyes:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
They are awesome! :worship:
Large Dynastinae, Lucanidae and Cetoninae (or now Cetonidae) are still rare and very expensive in Poland. I wish to have some of them in my collection :rolleyes:
In the US cost isn't even an issue because the USDA regs make it next to impossible to get exotics at any price. Fortunately, we have some spectacular natives, like the D. tityus Michelle posted pictures of. I've been rearing these for about 5 years now, all from locally collected stock. I found one when I was about six years old, and that was what got me hooked on bugs in the first place!

Wade

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, so I see You are in worse situation than me, in Poland. But after joining EU we should expect some similar problems (I know that they want us to register our insect collections). And I hope we will be able to change this new "tarantula law" I wrote about in another thread.

I started my hobby when I was almost in the same age as You. But my first favorite group was order Orthoptera and especially Gryllus campestris. I hope I will be able to continue my work on beetles after writing my master's thesis.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
does anyone know where i can get them in the us?