How to supersize hissers

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just wondering how to get giant morph hissers from normal size
i catergorized some hypothetical ways
A: juvinile pheromone to make them molt more, is what i've found . The breeders claimed that they are working on that way to produce bigger guys.
Anyone have done that?
B: selection, select bigger guys and girls from the colony, but it'll be a long run. or should i just get giant morph hissers?
C: food and simulate the natural environment. Does it work if i set up leaf litters and decay veggies, plus some dog food or dead criz for extra protein supplement? i am thinking of use some sorta stag beetle larvas fungi supplement, which add in wood chips for raising bigger adult beetles(i know lotta Asian hobbist do have significant result on that), but how about roaches?
i just get some F1 nymphs from my own 50 hissers colony. the biggest male in my colony is 75 mm, and what is the biggest hisser in your colony get?
anybody has one reach 8 cm?
i am currently working on plan B, get rid of all the small guys which less then 60mm
i am dying to get big "Horny" males
cheers

geckosalive

Arachnopeon
I am currently experimenting with hissers growth in different habitiats. Right now i am raising 3 hissers in my incubator on moist paper towels (90 F), 2 of them are together, 1 is kept alone. I have also massively boosted these guys protein. I also am raising around 25-30 baby hissers in a small 2qt rubbermaid on a heating pad and moist paper towels. They are being kept on the same diet as my adults. I then have the rest of the babies (around 20?) in with the parents. So far i have found the individual baby being kept in the incubator is twice the size of all of the rest, so i am thinking i am on to something... but only time will tell.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Although alot of these methods will grow the hissers quickly... I doubt it will do much more than that.

I believe the GIANT hissers have been selectively bred over many generations for their size...Just like how dog breeds are selectively bred... Picking the LARGEST hissers and breeding these together increases your chances of producing largwer growing offspring...breed the largest of these "larger" offspring together... after many generations, you can probably continuely produce XLG hissers...

This is just my opinion... Baby spiderlings will grow quicker at higher temps, but they don't get larger than normal as adults...

geckosalive

Arachnopeon
that is the purpose of my experiment, to grow adults up faster, and hopefully the habitat will increase their health and then their size. I then plan to pick the largest and breed em together to start the process of creating a line of giants.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i put mine in larger container, a 80 gallon storage box, 90F with oak leaf litter
i think if the colony get too packed, they might be getting smaller each generation...

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I’ve been thinking about doing this with my lobster roaches, select only the biggest and breed um, would be fun to do with my mad hissers only they take way too long to breed.

My largest male hisser is also 75mm; he's also packing a nice set of horns.

Do you have a link to these mega hissers?

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't have a picture to post, but I do know where there are some. www.roachdomain.com , click "breeding list", then hissers. It shows them along side with other hisser species, so it's a nice size comparison.

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Giant Hissers

Hello,

The only way to get giant morph hissers is to buy them. You can not create them. Although the same species as regular hissers the yare a different form as even the smallest of the giant hissers are much larger than the largest of the regular form and look somewhat different as well. It is also more economically feaseable to spend the money to get the giant hissers from places such as http://roachdomain.com then it is to waste your time and resources trying to get them by selectively breeding your own. They actually get larger then the rhino roaches :clap: Great pets lousy feeders however.

Digby Rigby

http://exoticfeeders.com

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 4 giant hissers from Roach Domain. 3 females and 1 male. Currently all three females look gravid.
Females are about 3 .5 + inches and the male is about 3 inches. They don't seem to eat a lot and hiss more than the regulors IMO..............Hiss even when I stare in the cage !

Bob

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can anybody post some pics of the comaparison of the giant and normal one?
and i don't know where to get them in Canada..
cheers

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my hisser is a giant and my friends colony are all giants, unfortunately i don't have ne normal hissers for comparison. mine hisses sometimes during the night without being provoked at all. he lives with my millipede, it's an interesting pair. they keep each other company :p

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Well, I have "normals" But if giants are 3.5 then mine are giants :D I have all sizes. Some smaller some larger. Ihave these two pics of the bigger ones. Ill get some of the normal sized when I get home.

Michelle

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
OldHag said:
Well, I have "normals" But if giants are 3.5 then mine are giants :D I have all sizes. Some smaller some larger. Ihave these two pics of the bigger ones. Ill get some of the normal sized when I get home.

Michelle
Do you remember where you got them from?

Viridis9

Arachnopeon
Giant hissers

Old Hag: you've got some nice giants, no doubt about it!
RoachFreak101

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow. i love those horns, my biggest is only 3 1/4", hope the next generation will be bigger

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I dont remember where I got them from. Some guy on Reptibid.com was sellin them for a buck each. I just ordered 10 females and thats what he sent. Ive had them for about a year and a half now. I had some huge males already. And a few females. They've always been big. I had no idea that they were giants. I thought thats just how big hissers were. :D
I wonder if there really is no "giant" hissers. Only hissers who have been alive more than a year or so. Does anyone have some adult hissers theyve had for more than 18months? That isnt HUGE?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
OldHag said:
I dont remember where I got them from. Some guy on Reptibid.com was sellin them for a buck each. I just ordered 10 females and thats what he sent. Ive had them for about a year and a half now. I had some huge males already. And a few females. They've always been big. I had no idea that they were giants. I thought thats just how big hissers were. :D
I wonder if there really is no "giant" hissers. Only hissers who have been alive more than a year or so. Does anyone have some adult hissers theyve had for more than 18months? That isnt HUGE?
I have seen thousands upon thousands of very small males. Roaches aren't like crustaceans or some spiders because cockroaches go through a set number of molts. More importantly they can never molt post maturity so an adult male is all he will ever be. Adult male horn structure has an arch whether the males is 1.5" or 3.5". The inability to measure accurately because length is not fixed, mixed lines, poorly maintained lines and a propensity for exaggeration are the primary culprits of the confusion. There are different lines of hissers as there are most things with a captive history. I was curious where you got yours because the horn structure and coloration of yours resembles the 'giant' line. Check your males carefully (for maturity as very small males you may think are nymphs aren't), if 3/4 or better have the horn structure and size of that one you picked up a good stock. Many people try to sell off tiny stock with tiny horns and call them giants.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One of my Giant morph females had babies this morning....oh joy !!
They are twice the size of my babie B.Dubias. :D

Bob