Hisser odor?

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have read that hissers have no smell at all. My colony of several hundred do have an odor though. I just cleaned their rubbermaid Saturday and the smell is still there. It almost smells like amonia, you know like cat urine can smell. I do feed them high protein cat food. Do you think this could be the relation in smell? :?

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my cricket cage gives off the same smell, its weird. i have been wondering the same thing about them.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Could very well be the cat food. Switch to dog food, also stop feeding them "leafy" veggies if you've been doing so.

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pissy Hissers

Hello

The smell can indeed be coming from the cat food or more specifically it is coming from the taurine in the cat food. You will also notice mice smell more than rats because of the taurine in their urine. Look at the ingredients in the cat food you are usuing and you will see it contains taurine. Hopefully you ar not using hissers as feeders as they are all shell and fat regardless of whether they are freshly molted or not.

Digby Rigby

http://exoticfeeders.com Our feeders are cooler than your pets ;P

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Digby Rigby said:
Hello

The smell can indeed be coming from the cat food or more specifically it is coming from the taurine in the cat food. You will also notice mice smell more than rats because of the taurine in their urine. Look at the ingredients in the cat food you are usuing and you will see it contains taurine. Hopefully you ar not using hissers as feeders as they are all shell and fat regardless of whether they are freshly molted or not.

Digby Rigby

http://exoticfeeders.com Our feeders are cooler than your pets ;P
Thanks everyone for replying. And these are just pets for myself and my daughters. I use N. cinerea, E. prosticus, and B. discoidales for feeders. I used to feed them chick mash and they didn't eat it much. I will switch to dog food or fish flakes. Thanks.

hans