*Sigh* Frustration

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is just a rant, you don't have to pay it any mind...

A good friend of mine is moving out of state, and there is a good chance he won't be able to take his T collection with him. I talked to him tonight and he offered me any T's I wanted out of his collection if he can't take them.

I'm not supposed to be getting any more animals! I'm working full time and going to school, plus trying to find an apartment with someone who feels that keeping animals as pets is morally wrong.

But...I've been in love with his big B smithi for several years. If he can't take the T's with him, I can't turn her down. He has seven other beautiful T's that I can pass on easily, but I'm going to be in so much trouble when I bring "Tumbleweed" home. -_-

I talked to my BF tonight and he said he wouldn't blame me for taking her home, but I know it bothers him. Argh!! :wall: :wall:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I would get it!!! Just don't tell ur roomate about it. My parents think I have 3 T's, in actuality I have 7!!! {D

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't let anyone else make your decisions for you!

If you are going to be sharing an apartment with someone, then you are going to be paying 1/2 the rent. Keep them in your room. It's none of their business.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WHY would you even WANT to share an apartment with anyone of that mindset???!!!???

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I say you should go for it, who knows what will be their fate if your friend decides to drop them off at a pet store or something. At least if you take them they'll be in good hands....or perhaps you could take care of them until you find someone else capable of taking care of them

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
bonesmama said:
WHY would you even WANT to share an apartment with anyone of that mindset???!!!???
Because I love him?

If she can't go to Arizona with him, Tumbleweed will be mine! Actually, oddly enough...my boyfriend expressed interest in taking another of his T's also...maybe he's starting to realize that they're not miserable in captivity.

sublimeskunk37

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is just my two cents but...I think you and your roomie should sit down and have a deep talk about your T's...I mean if you keep them in your room, hidden from him then what is the problem? See if you can work on a compromise! No relationship can be a sucessful one without compromise! :D

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wolfchan said:
Because I love him?

If she can't go to Arizona with him, Tumbleweed will be mine! Actually, oddly enough...my boyfriend expressed interest in taking another of his T's also...maybe he's starting to realize that they're not miserable in captivity.
I think you are doing the right thing & I think Tumbleweed would be lucky to end up in your care. Perhaps after seeing how cushy a Ts live in captivity is your friend will not only change his mind but help you with your hobby. *Here's hoping for you*

It does raise one other question that is really none of my business but if you don't mind me asking........ What if one day you decide you want a puppy?

Best wishes.

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know...my boyfriend didn't make his feelings about animals very clear until we started looking at apartments...I don't think I'll ever want to get a dog, but I DO want a cat eventually...so we'll see what happens.

If we get a place it will most likely be a one bedroom, so hiding the T's would be a challenge...but a worthwhile one.

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wolfchan said:
I don't know...my boyfriend didn't make his feelings about animals very clear until we started looking at apartments...I don't think I'll ever want to get a dog, but I DO want a cat eventually...so we'll see what happens.

If we get a place it will most likely be a one bedroom, so hiding the T's would be a challenge...but a worthwhile one.
I understand & not like I am an authority on the matter or anything but I wouldn't suggest "hiding" something from someone you love anyway. All that causes is deception. I am sure you can work out an arrangement with the Ts that you will both find acceptable. Perhaps even a larger "display" type set up maybe even a naturalistic environment. You could have the best of both worlds. :)

Good luck to ya!

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
*grin* That's actually a really awesome idea!! If I had the space I would have moved my hognose snake into a 60gallon long ago...now I will have the space, and her old tank would be lovely for something like a smithi... *ponder*

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just get double locking lids or something to make him feel secure and eventually he'll get used to it

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
*chuckles* He's not afraid of them, he feels that keeping animals in captivity is cruel.

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wolfchan said:
*chuckles* He's not afraid of them, he feels that keeping animals in captivity is cruel.
Oh I got it...well...you could easily argue that you're doing them a favor since in the wild they have a much higher chance of getting killed or starving, so at least under your care they get a perfect habitat, no predators and regular meals. Just my 2 cents.

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
*nods* It's an ongoing discussion. He says the T doesn't bother him nearly as much as the bird does. I think it helps that my rosea is a pudgy pet rock....if food were dropped in front of her burrow every now and again I doubt she would wander off if she had the chance.

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I dunno. My boyfriend doesn't really mind the Ts, but he just doesn't like the numbers I'm reaching with all of our combined pets:
2 dogs
2 cats
1 bird
7 snakes
3 lizards
5 tarantulas (until Thursday - then it'll be 7)
a breeding colony of gerbils
a breeding colony of lobster roaches

and he just doesn't like the numbers, and he doesn't like seeing cages everywhere (which is why he built me a nice big cage tower for my snakes and lizards - so all the cages were in one place). In reality, we do have a smallish 1 bedroom apartment, and it would be nice to have a spare "pet" room, which is what we're going to be looking for when our lease is up this fall. But when I moved in with him he knew I was an animal nut, and he knew that I come with my pets (and am usually getting more). He still gets mad and says "no more pets, we have enough." But the difference is that he doesn't even realize the Ts exist, except when I bug and bug and bug him to come see what the latest exciting thing is with the Ts (molt, eating, new burrow, etc.). But other than that, if I didn't have the cages sitting out on my desk he'd never know. I on the other hand get immense enjoyment out of them. So why should I stop? I'm taking good care of them, it's not like they're suffering because I have too many. He's not really suffering (although sometimes he thinks he is), because they really don't affect him, and I am made so very happy by them.

So I will continue to get as many Ts as I want. He knew about me and my animals when we decided to move in together, and I won't change who I am, or settle for not having what I want just because the number 5 seems like a high number to him. I didn't really want a 65" TV, and I certainly didn't really want us to be paying $250 a month for the next year on a TV like that, but we are, because it's what he likes, and it's what his hobby is. So I support it. My total cage volume isn't even nearly the same volume as his TV and speakers and all of his electronics take up, and they don't take up NEARLY as much money. So I'm going to keep getting the Ts I want until I have what I want (so long as I can still take great care of them). He'll probably continue to get upset at me for it, but he never really gets mad because I think he realizes it's pretty unfair of him to get upset over a number, or because he can see the cages.

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got a loooong two weeks to wait before I find out if she's mine, but here's Tumbleweed...

That's a photo of a photo that's hanging on my wall. The quality could be better, I know, but it's the best I have right now. :)

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My sympathies CreepyCrawly. I have exactly the same problem. I have been married 7 years now, and we have kept many small animals in that time. I started keeping snakes 4 years ago, and got to 6, but scaled it down to my 4 pythons to make my wife a little happier with the space requirements. :wall: I have been keeping T's for over a year now and only have 4. Our problem is that her mother is "afraid" :rolleyes: of spiders, and so is my wife. It took forever to convince her to let me get the first T. But as my small collection indicates, we have problems with numbers. She wasn't at all happy that despite long disaggreements I decided to bring home 3 more slings from a reptile show about a month ago. But she decided to live with it. Her current stance however, is that she will personally exterminate any additional inverts I bring into our home. :eek: I understand how she feels, but know it's unjustified as the spiders cannot escape their jars. So it's frustrating being limited to only a few 8 legged friends :mad: . My hope is that over time I can change her mind. We bought a house a few months ago, and I really don't like taking up more space than I have to with animals either, so I have informed her that when we sell in a few years the house we purchase will have a basement and I will have an animal room. She's not nearly sold on this concept yet, but it's a must for me. So anyway, I feel fr all of you here that share this frustration. Hopefully we'll all worh through it someday.

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wolfchan said:
I've got a loooong two weeks to wait before I find out if she's mine, but here's Tumbleweed...

That's a photo of a photo that's hanging on my wall. The quality could be better, I know, but it's the best I have right now. :)
That's a really nice smithi, I hope you end up with her. ;)

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you can't keep her I'll take her! :D She's great! Best of luck with the BF, BTW - mine never had any pets growing up, but through me he's learned the joys!! In fact, he talks to them more than me! :mad: LOL!