ants, anyone?

IrishLad17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey there everybody. I've been wondering how one would go about caring for ants, particularly Honey Pot Ants. Ive seen little snippets of information here and there online and Hatari Invertebrates has some for sale at certain times of the year. It would seem like a neat little project. Also, a while ago I checked out a very old book from the public library (i think it was called Insect Zoo). It described how to catch a queen ant to setup a colony using plastic cups and sand. The area between the cups was the area where the ants were supposed to live but Im not sure if that would work with honey pot ants. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the book said that after capturing the queen ant, to take several workers to take care of queen. Im not sure if they sell worker ants along with the queens, does that mean that queen ant has a lower chance of survival? Ok thanks for listening.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe Hatari sells newly mated queens that are collected after the nuptial flight, so there are no workers yet.

I think most of their ant sales are to permitted museums, zoos and universies. There might be some problems shipping them accross state lines without a permit. Ag departments tend to be kind of funny about ants.

Wade