Mealworms

DeadIrishD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I picked up 100 meal worms today to hopfully start a breeding project with as they get older, I've been able to keep ALOT of them alive for a few weeks, but really know nothing besides that, I am really new to this forum as well so if I did post in the wrong forum I am sorry.

any advice on keeping them, and breeding them, and any other info on them.

Thanks in advance

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the important thing is to not to let the temperature get cold, since that slows down the metabolism, therefore stops the larvae from pupating. i have a few T. Molitors myself, and they survive nicely on a slice of apple and a few pieces of cat food (mainly for my M. Domestica). also, be sure to clean their enclusure of any leftover food regularly, and it would be wise to seperate pupas from the min area early on, since the larvae will eat them when given the chance.

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've succesfully bred them and had baby mealworms. Here's how I did it.

Just feed the mealworms different kind of cearals like rice krispies and cherrios, any kind that doens't have sugar on it. ANd put either baby carrots or normal carrots, a potato chopped in half lengthwise, or a apple chopped up. Just put it on the cereal and when it gets shriveled up remove it and move the cereal around because it might be moist which could start some kind of mold. Just keep doing this until they change into their alien stage. Mine started to change only on the second week oh when I bought them. Remove the alien stage things into their own container filled with the same food as the mealworms because the mealworms wil chomp on the alien stage things and when they start to come out into beetles put the carrots and apples and potato in the container for their moisture. ANd search the mealworm container every week after 2 weeks because the mealworms will change alot into the alien stage. You will need alot more if you are using the mealworms because in about a month and a half I had no mealworms left just beetles. ALso in about a month or so you will notice baby worms in the beetle container, so just chnage the beetle sinto a new container. Or to have alot of baby mealworms chnage the beetles every 2 weeks into a new container.

If you have anymore question just ask.

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep molitor that's it. I was saying that because if you look at it it looks like it's from a sci-fi show or something, especially the superworms, you can really see all of the features of it.