Lobster Roaches and B. dubia

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can I keep lobster roaches and B. dubia together?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Good question... I only have dubias and can only answer for them (which is pointless due to the question asked)

...but what I'd do is to check whether lobsters are prone to cannibalizing, because then I'd not be surprised if they jumped on the dubias instead of their own.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, you can keep many roach species in one tank. I had N. cinerea, G. portenstosa and Blabeus in one terrarium, but after few months I move them to another tanks. It is easier to keep them separately (if you sell them ect.), but they can live together.

I've never seen any kind of cannibalism and "deadly" aggression between different species of my roaches. So it shouldn't be a problem.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Although there are many reasons I prefer to keep my different species separate, Dark Raptor's response proves that they can be housed communally if desired. One caveat though... I would recommend against including any Eublaberus prosticus in a communal cage. They aren't exactly strict vegetarians and love to nibble on animal life, especially freshly molted brethren.

Cheers,

Michael

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SpiderShoppe said:
I would recommend against including any Eublaberus prosticus in a communal cage. They aren't exactly strict vegetarians and love to nibble on animal life, especially freshly molted brethren.
Good to know. In the next months I will get 3 new roach species: Archimandrita tessellata, Eublablaberus distanti and Eublaberus prosticus. I will have to prepare new tanks for them :)

...and I should add, that it is very difficult to control small, glass-climbing roaches (like N. cinerea) when you are opening their tank. So keeping small and big species together, especially when they are able to escape, can be bad idea. Of course, you can always use vaseline on the edges of the tank.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
Good to know. In the next months I will get 3 new roach species: Archimandrita tessellata, Eublablaberus distanti and Eublaberus prosticus. I will have to prepare new tanks for them.
Make sure you house Eublaberus only with conspecifics and do not overcrowd. Also, make sure that you provide constant access to animal protein such as dog kibble. Even so, the prosticus will chew each other up.

MJ

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
roaches

Housing together will work with some species, but I've found it to be more difficult if your cleaning or feeding. I do have a product called bug barricade that is liquid teflon. It is very slick and great for containing species like lobsters. I agree with Michael on the Eublaberus. I never had any problems with the distanti, but the proticus will chew on each other. I use a lot of egg crates in those bins and it works well. They are very aggressive breeders and males jump females right after molting. With enough space and plenty of food wing bites can be kept down. I strongly recommend substrate for these species as well. Should be a fun week, I'm getting Byrsotria fumigata, Byrsotria rothi, Elliptorhina chopardi, Neostylopyga rhombifolia, Therea petiveriana, Loboptera decipiens, and Panchlora nivea.
James
www.blaberus.com